Home Made Nuts & Bolts

Home Made Nuts & Bolts

Postby davefrombc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:28 pm

I can't remember where I originally got his recipe; it was several years ago. I believe it was in one of the Christmas recipe supplements in the Vancouver Sun newspaper.
- Most recipes call for them to be baked uncovered - that also makes them too dry - use the cover on the roaster.
Ingredients:
One of the most important ingredients are Original 'Bugles' - but alas - they're now exceedingly hard to find. Whenever any big stores get them, they sell out overnight ! If you can find some - great - if not, they're almost as good without, so don't concern yourself.
- 1 Bag of Bugles (if available)
- 2 small bags of Pretzel Sticks
- 1/2 large box of plain Cheerios
- 1/2 large box of Shreddies
- 1 box of Rice Chex
- 300/400 grams of mixed nuts (salted)
This should be sufficient to fill a turkey roaster pan. (Amounts may be adjusted as you see fit.)

The spiced- oil dressing mix:
- 1.5 to 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4-6 tbsps. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 heaping tsp. celery salt
- 1/2 tsp. coriander spice powder
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chili pepper (optional)
- 1 or 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
(all of these spices are readily available at your local grocery store.)

Whisk all of these ingredients together well (the worcestershire tends to keep settling at the bottom, so keep stirring it well before pouring it over your dry ingredients.)
Directions:
Put approx. 1/2 of your dry ingredients, well mixed/blended, into the roaster, then drizzle approx 1/2 of your oil dressing all over them.
Them add the remaining 1/2 dry ingredients on top of the first layer and drizzle the remaining oil dressing over that. Mix/stir all well.
Bake @ 225 degrees, covered at all times, for 2 hours, making sure you stir everything up quite well at least every 20 minutes or so. This is important to get uniformity of the finished product. (I shake the roaster around vigorously - using oven mitts of course- to get the mixing done).
Allow to cool & ENJOY !
They will keep well in a covered plastic container(s) for up to 3 weeks or more.
After a couple of days aging, the flavors will even be better melded.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Return to Appetizers