Fish Pie (BBQ)

Fish Pie (BBQ)

Postby gary » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Fish: I like to use firm-fleshed fish, e.g. salmon, haddock, tilapia, cod, as it stays together. I also often add a few shrimp or scallops. I usually have at least two varieties of fish, but sometimes three.

I also like to use a fairly straight-sided casserole or pie dish, as it's easier to serve from.

Anyway, get your dish lightly sprayed, or greased:
Cut the fish portions into about 1 1/2" chunks and then scatter randomly whatever fish you've chosen into the base of the dish.
I then make a light cheese sauce, leaving it fairly thick as quite a lot of moisture comes out of the fish. Pour the sauce fairly evenly over the fish. I don't mess about with it as during cooking it will spread through the fish easily.
Mash potatoes, (quantity unknown - depends on the size of the casserole), with a little milk and just a little butter or olive oil, a little grated cheese, and well seasoned with salt & pepper. Pile on top of the fish/sauce, leaving it rustic with crevices. A little more grated cheese and into a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes, until the top is nicely browned. (You may have to increase the heat to about 400 degrees for the last 10 minutes if the top is slow to brown).

Let it rest for a few minutes - then serve.

Last night I made just enough for the two of us - one filet of haddock and one filet of Atlantic salmon, but the quantity can be adjusted for either a single serving or 10!

So easy, and tasty too, and easy to change up depending on what fish you have available and you can, of course, leave out the cheese entirely.

Sometimes I will put a little cayenne pepper in the sauce if that's what I feel like.

Give it a go - you may need to adjust the seasonings to your own taste.

Quite filling, so you only need a vegetable and/or salad to-go-with.

Gary Ontario
Zone 3b
Computer Troubleshooters Sudbury
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind
gary
Site Admin

Re: Fish Pie (BBQ)

Postby Lulu » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 am

Not something I personally would like to eat, but is sure does look good!
Lulu

Return to Fish and Shellfish