1 T sugar
1 teasp salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 and 2/3 cups Warm water
2 T shredded Parmesan cheese
1T Italian herb seasoning
1 T pepper fresh ground
1 T dried rosemary crushed Coarse salt optional

Mix the flour, salt, undissolved dry yeast, sugar in a medium sized bowl with a wisk.
Wisk 2 T of oil into the warm water, then add the water+oil to the flour mix and stir in with a wooden spoon till well blended, no kneading needed.
Generously coat the sides and bottom of a about a 6″ by 8″ pan with olive oil, and spread the dough out in the pan stretching and pushing it to be about an inch and a half deep. (Its a bit sticky).
Oil a fingertip or a wooden spoon and put indentations in a grid pattern over the surface.
Cover and let it rise for 30 minutes. Re-poke the holes and turn the oven on to 375 degrees C.
Pour the remainder of the oil or a bit more if you like it crusty, spread the oil evenly on the surface with the back of a big spoon, sprinkle the pepper, herbs, and parmesan over the surface, let rise for about 15 minutes and bake for 35 minutes.
Turn out and let cool for a good 1/2 hour or longer.
Very good if aged a day. Can be re warmed. Excellent toasted with marmalade.
This is a small loaf and doesn’t get much loft but its fluffy inside and crusty on the outside.
Gary Ontario
Zone 3b
Computer Troubleshooters Sudbury
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind
gary
Site Admin

Re: Focaccia (Kat)

Postby BBQ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm going to try this tomorrow! I was thinking that it was about time I made some bread, but didn't want to make too much because we then eat too much of it!
~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Re: Focaccia (Kat)

Postby BBQ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks Kat for this super recipe. I made it this morning. Very easy to make.

I did have to cook it for a bit longer than 35 minutes, maybe 10 extra minutes. When I took it out after 35 minutes the bottom was still a bit soft, so I upended it and put it back in the oven, bottom side up, for another 10 minutes. Perfect.

I used the suggested toppings of Italian seasoning, coarsely ground black pepper, rosemary, Romano cheese, and kosher salt.

But it will be so easy to use different toppings. It's a keeper.

~BBQ

IMG_4537.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Return to Breads, Muffins, and Baking