Habanero Gold Jelly

Habanero Gold Jelly

Postby BBQ » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Nice sounding recipes there Dave - and easy. (Always a good thing!).

Donna steered me towards the recipe by Bernardin, but I went with this one instead, although really there's is virtually no difference. Thanks Donna.

Yield: 3 250 ml jars

1/3 cup finally diced dried apricot (approx)
3/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup finely diced red onion (approx)
1/4 cup finely diced red pepper (approx)
1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, with seeds, or 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeño and scotch bonnet peppers combined. (I went with two dried Habaneros, (my own which I had dried), and a fresh jalapeño.)

3 cups white sugar, (I used 2 1/2 cups)

1 (3 ounce) envelope bernardin liquid pectin

Dice apricots very finely and put into large stainless steel saucepan with the vinegar; let stand for four hours

Cut onions and peppers into fine dice (No way was I going to dice Habaneros - I put the onions and peppers into my small Cuisinart processor which did a good job).

Add to apricots and stir in the sugar

Bring mixture to a full rolling boil stirring constantly, then boil hard for one minute

Remove from heat and immediately stir in liquid pectin, mixing well

Stir for about 3 minutes to mix solids, but put into jars before it gets too firm

Pour into hot sterilized jars, divine solids equally and fill to within 1/4 inch from top of jar

Apply snap lids and process in bolding water bath for 5 minutes if you choose. (I did!)

Once sealed you can rotate or invert jars. (I did this several times over the course of about 20 minutes and the solids seemed to be pretty evenly distributed).

The italics are my own comments.

There were a couple of tablespoons left over so I put that into a small glass container, let it cool, and tasted! Yum! Then I put a small dollop on a small piece of extra old white cheddar and tasted! Even yummier! :D

~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly

Postby BBQ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:24 am

Good lord! Spell check must have been sleeping at the back of the class.

Of course, it should be boiling not 'bolding' and divide not 'divine'.

~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Return to Jams and Preserves