Does Anyone Have a Tulip Tree?

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Does Anyone Have a Tulip Tree?

Postby soccermomof3 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:57 am

I am hoping to put in a couple of trees this year, so am trying to decide what I'd like. One consideration is a tulip tree, but I seem to remember hearing that they send up lots of bothersome seedlings. That is the reason I got rid of my rose of sharons, so I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience with the tulip tree. Other favourite trees?
soccermomof3

Re: Does Anyone Have a Tulip Tree?

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am

What Zone are you in? recommendations would range vastly based on that factor alone.
Are you looking for a smaller landscape tree or something that can get larger?
I assume you want something that blooms?
other attributes that appeal, fall colour, final shape, rounded, columnar, fruiting?

I found this online guide to trees in Canada, it is from Ontario:

http://www.canadiantreetours.org/specie ... /what.html
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Re: Does Anyone Have a Tulip Tree?

Postby soccermomof3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks for the link, Heidi. I am in zone 7a (Niagara region). This actually shocks me, as I think they've changed the number over the years; I can't believe it's not lower. We have an acre property, and some of the oldest, largest trees are starting to die. I am thinking of the tulip tree for an open spot, where something could grow quite big. I do think it should be a tree with a deep taproot vs shallow spreading roots, as there is our septic system in the near vicinity. I don't care really if it blooms or not, as I am planning to put in a few smaller blooming trees elsewhere. This spot would be to replace a beech we have lost. There are still three beech left in the area, and I have wondered if I should just put in another beech, but thought it would be fun to mix it up a little.
soccermomof3

Return to Just Plants