Dividing Annabelle Hydrangea?

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Dividing Annabelle Hydrangea?

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 am

Has anyone ever had success dividing a plant such as this? Mine are getting so big, but when I try to dig down into the root ball, the stems/roots are just so thick and "woody", that I have no luck at all. It is not that I am trying to get new plants to transplant, but rather just reduce the size of the plants where they are. Any thoughts? Thanks!
soccermomof3

Re: Dividing Annabelle Hydrangea?

Postby HeidiPG » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 pm

I absolutely doubt it would work to divide with a woody shrub, but it probably could handle a severe pruning to a much smaller size. However, it may not bloom in the following year.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby soccermomof3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:53 am

I actually prune this down to the ground each fall, and it grows back lush and full of blooms each year.
soccermomof3

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Well these Annabelles are very hardy, and will bloom on new and old wood, so that doesn't surprise me, but the Annabelle is not a small version of the hardy type. So, hard to contain in a small space unfortunately.

Most resources I have checked give an average height of 5 ft and width of 6 ft, so they are going to be relatively large in a small garden.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Return to Just Plants