Calla Lilys

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Calla Lilys

Postby Andrea » Mon May 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Got this pot of Callas at Home Depot $11.00 .Best price I have seen for years.Went back to get more and they had sold out.

IMG_1181 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrea

Re: Calla Lilys

Postby Laura » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Love them ... do they over winter ?
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Andrea » Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Not in the ground but what I do is cut the leaves back in Fall,and take the bulbs out,rinse them and let dry in a warm spot.Then I put them into a paper bag and store in a cool spot in the basement over winter.In early Spring they have usually started to sprout,and are then potted up.
Andrea

Postby Laura » Mon May 04, 2015 6:14 pm

I thought they looked too tropical to like the winter ... :D .... sure are pretty.
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Lulu » Mon May 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Love them all!

Any time I see a pot on clearance, I buy them; a lot cheaper than buying the bulbs in the spring!
Lulu

Postby Donna » Sat May 30, 2015 11:13 am

I think it was Brenda who posted that she kept her callas in the pot and stored them through the winter that way. I've been doing the same with mine, except they didn't bloom last year…so this Spring I dug them out and they were so crowded! Divided them up, put in some fresh soil and fertilizer and they are good to go.
Donna

Postby conniepr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:07 am

I've been trying to winter over calla lilly bulbs, too. This year was the most successful. I actually got two flowers out of maybe 20 bulbs. Anyone know what they need to bloom better? I know they like lots of water, but mold on the soil was a problem. And I gave them fertiliser almost from day one of planting.
Connie
conniepr

Postby Andrea » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:12 am

Do you use potting soil? These are always nursery grown in soiless mix as potting soil is too heavy.I waited too long last year and couldn't get soilless mix so used potting soil.Disaster is what I ended up with alot of my seeds and bulbs,never again will I make that mistake.So, that said, I have already bought my soilless mix for next year.
Andrea

Postby conniepr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:05 pm

It was potting soil I used. I guess I'll have to go looking for a soilless mix. Thanks for the tip!
Connie
conniepr

Postby A Closet Canuck » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 pm

I grew them in regular garden soil. The first year they bloomed well. In subsequent years they gave only foliage. By then, it was time to either get rid of them or to find out what they needed. The advice that worked for me:

Plant in the garden in soil copiously amended with compost in full sun to partial shade. Give more water than what they get with rain, quite a bit more. Fertilize with 9-9-6 slow-release fertilizer. Apply 2-inch layer of mulch to conserve moisture and suppress weeds.

The take-away was that calla lilies like moist, good-draining soil, and low nitrogen, slow release feeding (compost and slow-release fertilizer); I was over-overfeeding with high-nitrogen, short-acting fertilizer, and not amending the soil sufficiently so there was an overabundance of foliage and the blooms never developed.

Trying this approach paid good dividends in terms of blooms.
A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Just Plants