Calla Lilys

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Re: Calla Lilys

Postby Lulu » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:33 am

I use a soil less mix (Pro Mix) and blend in some of the Miracle Grow soil and fertilize them a fair bit, with whatever I've got; seems to work great! Lots of blooms, and bulbs keep on getting bigger, and do produce some small bulbets as well, so that I have a huge amount of them to plant every spring! Only problem, is, when I'm putting them away in the fall, there's no way to tell what color they are, so I may end up with pink, purple, orange & white in the same pot! Who cares,,love them all!
Lulu

Postby Andrea » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:50 am

Forgot about this post,that was May 4 and today June 14 these are still blooming! :)
Andrea

Postby conniepr » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:47 pm

Awesome! I got three blooms off of my bunch (somewhere around 12-15 planted). Well, maybe with the new things to try I'll get better results next year. Thanks for the tips!
Connie
conniepr

Postby BBQ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:06 pm

I did indeed overwinter calla lilies in their pots in the basement with no water; starting to water again in March and they started to grow almost immediately. I did this for a few years. Then one year I didn't get any blooms at all. I decided to empty out the pot and I couldn't believe how many bulbs there now were. What started off at 7 or 9 bulbs in a pot had turned into at least 30+ bulbs per pot! I couldn't be bothered with the work any more, so a couple of years ago planted them directly into the garden, enjoyed the blooms that year and said goodbye to them at the end of the season!
~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Previous

Return to Just Plants