Rose standards.

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Rose standards.

Postby Andrea » Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Does anyone grow these? I see them in the stores and they have some nice colors but I have no knowledge of them.Would they be hardy in zone5,or do they need protection.If I planted one it would be in my front garden,against the house,south facing.I could grow in a container and move it for winter.I don't know if I should try one.Any help would be appreciated.
Andrea

Re: Rose standards.

Postby orchidguy » Wed May 06, 2015 10:39 am

Molly,
because the graft for standard roses is up high on the "trunk" of these, they are extremely prone to freezing in the growing zone here. The only way I've been able to grow these are in pots and move them to a cold storage shed during the winter months. Even doing this, they are wrapped in old Salvation Army blankets.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Andrea » Wed May 06, 2015 11:03 am

Good to know OG ,thanks for the info.I think I may just pass on these,as I am going to have enough to wrestle with and protect for winter.It is so good to be able to get straight forward answers about things from folks that actually have grown them.Thanks again.
Andrea

Postby Kelly » Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

I was going to say the same!

There's only three standards I am aware of so far that would not have this issue.....European snowball, burning Bush, and smoke Bush. All seem to NOT be grafts, which means the root stock would be harder, as well as the upper portion. I am constantly wary of all others, and will warn people if they are thinking of purchasing them....
Kelly

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 am

Have you considered a pillar instead of a standard? Pillar roses tend to grow upright and, as the name suggests, their are good growing next to a pillar, a column. or round trellis. Pillar roses have the graft union below ground and provide height. Below is a link to a good pic of 'American Pillar' so you can see the detail. Some people turn regular climbers into pillars but the preference here is for roses that are true pillar roses. The pillar roses tend to be once-blooming which might explain why gardeners want climbers instead. 'American Pillar' is zone 5.

http://www.highcountryroses.com/american-pillar
A Closet Canuck

Return to Just Plants