Speaking of Clematis

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Re: Speaking of Clematis

Postby HeidiPG » Wed May 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Ok, I had to go look for a white Zone 3 tolerant clemmie - and $95 later, (1 clematis and more than a few annuals 'cause I still have empty pots) I purchased a Clematis 'Huldine', pruning group C (cut off every year), 12-20 ft, pure white.

She is going onto the metal obelisk on the south side of the shed, together with the Clematis 'Westeplatte' (bright pink) also a pruning group 3. Against the grey/blue of the new siding and white trim - I think this will look amazing - if it all survives!

the pink one is about 2 ft tall and already forming blooms and made it through the winter, so this could be a very nice combo!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby BBQ » Wed May 27, 2015 11:10 pm

How exciting for you Heidi. I hope you have great success.
BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby orchidguy » Thu May 28, 2015 11:38 am

Heidi, keep us posted on the progress of your "Huldine' clemmie. I am so happy you found your white flowered clemmie and hope it can survive your winters.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sat May 30, 2015 11:24 am

Heidi, just looked at the pics of 'Huldine' on Dave's Garden. WOW! What a beautiful white. Great find but it sounds like it broke the bank. I hope it endures at your place because it appears to be a keeper.

As for your list of clemmies, if you can grow 'Betty Corning' probably you can grow Clematis viticella 'Etoile Violette' (not sure about the spelling). Both are rated at USDA zone 4. 'Etoile violetre' is a fantastic bloomer with dark purple (maybe too dark for some people's tastes) blooms. Or, maybe you have tried it and it didn't make it?? I wonder how much siting plays in the success of clematis in your area.

At any rate, good luck with 'Huldine'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Closet Canuck

Postby HeidiPG » Sat May 30, 2015 11:29 am

Trish - the clemmie was $27 but the annuals that came home with it kinda cost more than I planned... I do NOT have a plant addiction, I do NOT, well ok I do....
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby BBQ » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I can second what Trish said about Etoile Violette. I've had mine for years but some years it does better than others for some reason. All of my clematis seem to have to start from scratch each year because even though I try to protect some of them the rabbits take great delight in getting through the defences and nibbling the stems off just above snow level! :cry:
I'm going to be on the lookout for Huldine - it looks stunning.
~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby A Closet Canuck » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:46 pm

HeidiPG wrote:.....annuals that came home with it kinda cost more than I planned... I do NOT have a plant addiction, I do NOT, well ok I do....

Of course you don't! LOL LOL LOL
A Closet Canuck

Previous

Return to Just Plants