Speaking of Clematis

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Speaking of Clematis

Postby A Closet Canuck » Tue May 19, 2015 8:29 pm

A few years ago someone posted a pic of Clematis 'Gillian Blades'; it was growing up a mailbox post. Last summer at the closeout sale, I took a chance of 'Gillian Blades' as it was not in bloom when I bought it. This spring there were two puny blooms, then all of a sudden it started to take off. It is almost as good looking as the one posted on this site in the past. Right now it is growing in part shade and will probably be relocated to a better location the end of this season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A Closet Canuck

Re: Speaking of Clematis

Postby Laura » Tue May 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Beautiful ... I have this one too,lovely big blooms !!
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Kelly » Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 am

Nice!!!
Kelly

Postby conniepr » Wed May 20, 2015 8:06 am

Lovely! I haven't had much luck with my clematis. They come up but don't do that well. This spring I found a box of clematis and vine fertiliser at the garden centre. I bought it so I can give it a try. Anyone else use this type of fertiliser? Any tips?
Connie
conniepr

Postby Andrea » Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 am

This is the one Laura had in the soup and it went on my list.Haven't seen this one here in the stores,but I did get Duchess of Edinburgh which was also on my list from Lizzys pics.Really like them both!
I bought a half dead Polish Spirit last year on clearance and it is also doing great this year,has buds right now.
Andrea

Postby BBQ » Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 am

I have both Duchess of Edinburgh and Polish Spirit planted on the same wrought iron trellis, which is in some shade for a good part of the day, so a little bit of shade is apparently not bad for those two varieties! . I wish I had space for more clematis! ;)
I've not come across the 'Gillian Blades' but it is very similar to 'Henryi', which I also have! :D

Pic of 'Henryi':
images.jpeg

~BBQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby HeidiPG » Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Mmmm, this makes me think! I have no white clemmies - until 1 year ago, we had a white house, and I chose other colours for contrast. But as you all know, we now have a grey-blue house with white trim, So...... maybe it is time to find a Zone 3 hardy white clemmie...... Obviously I need at least one more trip to the garden centre!

I wonder what I will find....?
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby HeidiPG » Thu May 21, 2015 12:29 am

and looking at the options that are Zone 3 hardy - Henryi looks to be the main option. it is group B2 and supposed to be Zone 3 hardy. Gillian Blades is definitely not going to work for me, but she is lovely....

There appears to be a little C. Macropetala 'White Swan' but I would just so love a full open blossom. But damn they are so hard to keep alive in this crazy climate in North-Central BC.

Sadly, I have committed Clematis murder more than once in the last 20 years up here. My Clematis Alpina never disappoint but never have the big, wow blossoms either.
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Postby orchidguy » Thu May 21, 2015 10:53 am

Heidi, I was just reading an article about the hardiest clematis (zone 2), and maybe you could find a larger flowered white for your garden

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2009/04/3 ... te-garden/
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby HeidiPG » Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Sadly, Dan - this article mentions only one white 'Gazelle' which is a non-twining integrifolia type, and has small flowers more like the alpina type. it is out of the Evison horticulture group and they rate it a Zone 4 but I have another integrifolia (blue one) and it has been hardy for me.
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Next

Return to Just Plants