Speaking of Clematis

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Re: Speaking of Clematis

Postby orchidguy » Fri May 22, 2015 12:05 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for any that are touted as "hardy" in lower zones for you Heidi. Who knows????, there just may be a cultivar that would thrive even in your conditions.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 am

Hi, All.

Laura, perhaps it was your plant posted on the list or on SOUP that I saw. Who ever owned that 'Gillian Blades' took a eye-popping pic.

conniepr, my best results are with compost, about a bucket full spread around the clematis. It seems to give good blooms and moderate foliage, whereas fertilizers I've tried gave lots of foliage and variable blooms. The two best thing about compost is it's organic, so no fertilizer salts build up in the soil causing the pH to rise (which clematis hate).

BBQ, it is similar to Henryi but it's the purple stamens(?) that really set it off. Mine might need more sun, and after moving it, next year it might be more impressive. Would love to put it at the mail box but that site will probably be too hot. 'Ramona' was there and went into a general decline.

'Duchess of Edinburgh' is on my shopping list. And, a new one at the neighbor's. She bought two "Marie Therese" and they are fabulous.

Plants are like quilting fabric, you can never have too much nor too many kinds. LOL
A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizzy » Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 pm

I have the Duchess of Edinburgh...she climbs with C. Bluebird up the gazebo supports, and is doing lushly well this year, climbing the apple tree beside. I would like to hear from others if she is as grubby in her afterlife for them, as she is for me...a moldy brown mess. I still love her and encourage her...20-20-20 every spring/early summer.

I do not grow whites usually...move towards blues altho I've ended up with a lot of pinks, Asao, and Niobe...however, that cross of Bees Jubilee called Pilu's Little Duckling ...a supermarket dried up sale item 12 years ago, does me mighty proud...this year, so far, no double flowers, just singles...no idea why, I FEED.

In MY books, Bluebird is most outstanding clematis I have grown...gorgeous foliage, lovely little sky blue flowers aplenty, and very handsome seed pods for afters. Pilu is the strongest Second in the bunch. $5 for a what looked like dead plant...12 years later (and every year, but most years, double flowers!...repeated late into summer.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby BBQ » Tue May 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Liz: your Piilu is lovely - I have that one too and although lots of flowers are produced I don't think the flowers are as large and luscious as yours! For some unknown reason my Bluebird totally disappeared last year - I have replaced but no sign of flowers yet.
BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Lizzy » Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 pm

if my Bluebirds quit, I think I'd be weeping...they engulf two big supports on the gazebo, and one has the Duchess as well. I am so sorry, BBQ...it is, of course, different climates entirely and you had a harsh winter.

Pilu's flowers are tea-plate sized this year, very very showy from the street 25 feet away, but not a sign of the doubles I used to have...we have tried several times to grow cuttings (including in-ground-beside) and no luck whatsoever.

I laughed when I bought it, sure it would die in the car on the way home, was nothing but a dried up stick by the time it was planted...and going on for 12 years now, it continues to surprise me. I think she is worth it, if you can find her...but then, I think the same about Bluebird. Think Pilu is an old one??? don't know, had heckuva time trying to locate on internet. Niobe is NOT showing up red colour at all, Asao is nothing special (she is in a pot and cared for)...Prince Charles is still a delight, so is old faithful Jackmani. Cannot speak for newer ones, I am forbidden to buy more, himself says 13 is enough for a city lot-sized garden!

On the other hand, THIS year I am having unreal success with Irises that I didn't expect. I have 3 foot tall Japanese Irises growing beautifully in a shallow raised bed, when they prefer a watery spot. May be a swan-song, look in again next season!,,,I never expected the abundance I've got, this year.
Lizzy

Postby BBQ » Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 am

Interesting that you have had 'doubles' on your Piilu ... For a couple of years my Dr. Ruppel produced a few spectacular doubles but returned to just singles thereafter! I like the doubles.

I too am up to double digits - about 25 - and although there is room for more the growing conditions would doom them to failure. Too much shade.

I have yet another Sweet Autumn clematis still sitting (and growing ever taller) in a small pot awaiting inspiration from me for a home. :roll:

BBQ
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby HeidiPG » Wed May 27, 2015 1:29 pm

My list of clemmies that did not survive here is long and distinguished:

Dr. Ruppel
Jackmanii
Pink Champagne
Polish Spirit
Nelly Moser
and several more I cannot remember.... Not sure if it is our freeze/thaw winter cycle, my determination to plant things that are not really zone hardy or just something I haven't figured out.

I do have successful ones:

Clematis alpina:
Frances Rivis
Pink Flamingo

Clematis macropetala:
Bluebird
Jan Lindmark

Clematis texensis 'Pagoda'
Clematis integrifolia Durandii - non twining.
Clematis viticella 'Betty Corning'

Clematis (?) 'Westerplatte' (group C) (new last year and came back)
Clematis tangutica 'Golden Tiara'

Sadly I do not have any luck with most of the big flower ones - but keep trying - I am thinking of trying that Henryii as it seems to be able to bloom from new wood.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby BBQ » Wed May 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Heidi: I'm surprised that you lost your Polish Spirit as I thought it was good to Zone 3. Such a good doer - at least here. Jackmanii does well here too, although Jackmanii 'Superba' seems to be less robust. I did plant Tangutica 'Golden Tiara' at my last house, and regretted it for years ..... !!!!! It was almost impossible to control and the suckers were everywhere. I left it behind without regret! ;) Others though I regretted leaving behind as I have not been able to replace them, one is 'Alanna', lovely deep but bright red. Another one I have not had any success with is 'Montana'. I have yearned for its presence in early Spring for as long as I can remember. I still have vivid memories of it growing in England before the trees had leafed out, wending its way through the bare branches covered in tiny white star-shaped flowers; it filled the tree with flowers. Gorgeous.

~BBQ
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:48 pm

BBQ, I cut Sweet Autumn back to the ground every year after Christmas...when she quits for the season and loses her flowers...otherwise she'd take over the front and side of the house. They are regarded as invasive here.

I have a winter clematis that is supposed to bloom for Christmas, but seems to bloom whenever it feels like it...this one is in a huge pot and likely in need of a good replenishment of fresh soil. It's name is Freckles, but I saw yesterday at Cdn. Tire they have a summer-blooming one called by that name...appears to have redder flowers than mine does, mine white with red/brown freckles....the new one is red, with darker freckles.

I prefer the blues, myself, altho I seem to have bought a lot of pinks, or ones that went pink from blue/lavender.

Every year around now, I weep over the loss of the beautiful Wisteria...I really should have bought another/by now it would have been flowering.
Lizzy

Postby HeidiPG » Wed May 27, 2015 2:57 pm

The tangutica is in a side space, with limited to no watering and the opportunity to cover a fence. I too cut it down regularly and it reasonably well behaved.

Polish Spirit is supposed to be Zone 3 hardy, but with our freeze/thaw cycles all winter seem to have been the end of it. I had it for 5+ years and then it didn't come back after one of those winters. (something that never happened much 50 yrs ago so we blame climate change).

20 years up here and I am still yearning for so many things I miss from the coast of BC. Big, blousy clemmies are high on that list. Oh, and Montana which is definitely not a northern girl.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

PreviousNext

Return to Just Plants