Seedling Identity

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Seedling Identity

Postby soccermomof3 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:41 pm

Does anyone recognize this seedling? I'm wondering if it is a beech because we do have beech trees. The nut is 2cm long, but googling beech nut images, they weren't this shape. We live near some fruit farms, but it doesn't look like a fruit pit that I can think of. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soccermomof3

Re: Seedling Identity

Postby OGrubber » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:47 am

I've searched through my [native] Canada tree id book and can't find anything with opposite leaves [simple] and a nut that shape, that that might be. So... it could be an introduced variety....

Sorry, no help here at all.

Maybe if you grew it on in a pot for awhile, the maturer leaf would give more of a hint.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby davefrombc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:54 am

The leaves are different , but the nut looks like those of a variety of oak that is growing across the road.. It was likely planted by a previous owner a long time ago judging by its size..I thought it was a garry oak since they are native here, but Kat said at the time the bark isn't nearly thick and fissured enough, so I have no idea what variety it is.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. We do have oak trees around here. Maybe as it gets a little older, I'll post another pic of the leaves.
soccermomof3

Return to Just Plants