Question for you fellow northern gardeners...

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Re: Question for you fellow northern gardeners...

Postby conniepr » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:03 am

Northpine, yes actually that is what I'm planning. Right now, it looks like I'll be moving some of my iris and peonies in front of the delphiniums, but I was hoping there was something with a different color I could add. I think I'm going to budget for some barberry bushes for next Spring. I've already spent my budget for this year's new plants. I think I can also split my Key Lime Pie coral bells for the very front of the widened section. They are so bright leaved and exciting to see each Spring.
Connie
conniepr

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:15 pm

Northpine - yes that is a little dahlia I picked up on my wanderings around a greenhouse - I chose it for the orange/pink bloom, but the dark leaves are certainly a bonus.

Sadly I cannot keep dahlias successfully over winter - I have no cool but not freezing place in my home and corms and tubers are not happy in my heated basement, so I have given up.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby northpine » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Connie, one plant I've only added a couple years ago is Lorraine Sunshine Heliopsis. It has variegated foliage and isn't crazy big like regular heliopsis. It's not blooming yet, but the foliage is attractive.
Heidi, I only have a cool room in the basement. I can winter lots of stuff there. I can't tell you how cold it gets, but there's no heat source in there. It's my storeroom under the stairs, sort of.
northpine

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Oh, Connie, I dream of a cold room under the stairs - our under stair space is currently occupied by hubby's comic book collection - about 25,000 and growing. If son ever moves out, he can move his stuff to that room and I will convert the understairs area to a cold room likety-split.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Remember, plants left in pots over winter outdoors, freeze and can/will break the pots...

For those with a bit of unstylish property, a cold room can be achieved, by digging a pit...a "root cellar"...and yes, you can keep summer's crop of carrots/turnips/etc in here, providing they are stuck into a good-sized box of SAND, after harvesting (and washing the bugs off pls!) Absolutely FRESH carrots in mid January! (My laundry room had no insulation, and no heat, and I successfully had fresh and delicious root vegetables still by following springtime.)

Even an unheated garage works as a cold room, if you can store plants against a wall that is beside the house.

The David Austin Rose that will survive -50 degrees is Graham Thomas. yellow, pretty, gorgeous scent, but it will not grow huge. In ground, protect with bale of straw over winter.

Lilies don't seem to mind the winter's cold...nor do Delphiniums...nor do bulbs, planted 2 feet deep. Yes, they do grow, and year after year!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Previous

Return to Just Plants