Red Maple Tree

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Red Maple Tree

Postby rupietoot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:23 am

HI There,

We have recently bought a new property and there is a red maple on it that it quite new. There are a lot of shoots coming out very low on the trunk and they need to be pruned/cut. When is the best time of year to do this?

Thank you!

Susan
rupietoot

Re: Red Maple Tree

Postby Laura » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:43 am

I love a nice red maple.I think you can prune off suckers at any time,it should not hurt the main tree.

New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby rupietoot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:47 pm

thank you laura :) I will try to post a picture soon.

Susan
rupietoot

Postby orchidguy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:34 pm

I assume you are talking about our native red maples and not a Japanese red maple Rupietoot. I have tonnes of them on the property and the ones that have suckered seem to stay shrub-like, and they are trimmed with a hedge clipper every year. If left to sucker, I find they produce wonderfully rounded large shrubs. If it is a tree form you most like, then trim them suckers off at just about any time of the year up until the end of September.
If you are referring to a Japanese red maple, definitely trim all the suckers off.
Hope this helps
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby OGrubber » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:11 am

Nice to see you again Rupietoot!

My understanding is that removing suckers is best done in the fall.
Spring pruning while the tree is actively growing, apparently only promotes the growth of new suckers - sort of like when you pinch a plant back to promote bushy growth.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Return to Just Plants