Rose question

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Rose question

Postby Andrea » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of the best way to treat roses in preparation for their winter sleep.I generally just leave them as is,put leaves over and around the base and then in Spring I cut them back to a growing bud.Now I wonder if they should be cut back in Fall and if so how far back.Any info would be appreciated.Thanks
Andrea

Re: Rose question

Postby orchidguy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 pm

I don't cut my roses back until spring. The added "twiggage" traps more snow, which IMO, insulates them more from the cold temperatures. After the first hard frost, I cover the base with leaves and compost. The rose tree's in pots are heeled into a mound of soil and completely covered. I have never had luck bringing them through the winter in the greenhouses (even the cool temp ones) or storing in the cold cellar.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Andrea » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks OG. I guess I will keep doing the same.Mine come back ok each Spring,so I guess I am not doing anything wrong.
Andrea

Postby HeidiPG » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:49 pm

I do the same with my zone 3 hardy type roses (eg Parkland, Morden etc) as they don't need extensive pruning at anytime of the year. I do remove anything obviously dead or damaged in the spring when the plant starts budding. Rugosa roses only need to be cut if growing out of bounds (which they often do).

If I am worried about winterkill - some of my more sensitive roses, I hill with mulched leaves and put a collar of plastic mesh to hold it in place against the wind. This gets raked off as soon as things warm up.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby orchidguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:46 pm

I always figured "Mother Nature" always knew better than me when growing plants, and since she covers her plants with a layer of leaves in the autumn, I should do the same.
I've posted probably a good 400 pics of different roses on here at one time or another, and have never lost a rose bush/plant due to our winter weather which sometimes hit -35 C for a week at a time before warming up (good 'ol Northern Ontario). The tips of the branches are sometimes winterkilled, and I just assume that is where they get trimmed to in the spring.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Return to Just Plants