Bulbs Coming Up!

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Bulbs Coming Up!

Postby soccermomof3 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:00 am

Today it is 8 degrees, and really we've only had a couple of days below zero so far this winter. Several of my bulbs are coming up, but winter may arrive next week with temps below zero and snow. Will these bulbs still be able to come up in the spring?
soccermomof3

Re: Bulbs Coming Up!

Postby HeidiPG » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:52 pm

If the snow comes first, things should be great as it is a great insulator. How far up are the bulbs showing? It happens up here where it is much colder and in general the bulbs are ok most of the time. You are in Greater Vancouver, right?

We get killing frosts into June here in PG and the bulbs keep coming anyway. The cold really just shuts them down temporarily unless they are some very tropical type of bulb that cannot be frozen at all (which we cannot grow anyway)

Freezing is not a major problem for them as long as they are not so very far along as to be almost blooming. Then the wet snow might bend and break the stems. Otherwise, don't fret too much.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Re: Bulbs Coming Up!

Postby soccermomof3 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks Heidi. I'm actually in the Niagara region in Ontario. Most are up only a couple of inches, but a few daffodils have leaves up that are nearly a foot high. But no signs of any blooms, so hopefully they'll be fine then.

Mother Nature sure has the plants confused though--I've heard of forsythia and primroses blooming here in December this year!
soccermomof3

Return to Just Plants