Over wintering herbs in a Zone 3 climate!

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Over wintering herbs in a Zone 3 climate!

Postby conniepr » Mon May 23, 2016 4:44 pm

Over wintering herbs in pots works! Today, I discovered a third plant growing back in my husband's herb garden. He's a chef; I'm the gardener. ;) I threw all the pots in our garage last fall and occasionally gave the pots a bit of water. The garage is heated; set to keep the temps close to 6 or 8 degrees Celsius all winter. We also both park our vehicles in there each day, adding to the moisture in the air and bringing in a little fresh air each day twice a day. I didn't expect the herbs to come back so wasn't really giving them much water, was focusing on trying to overwinter the grasses I have in the flower pots. But the tarragon and oregano are now two inches high, and today, I see there is a third plant escaping out of the soil! Don't know what that one is, I don't have a tag beside that one and I can't remember what all we planted last year. Found the new shoots when I was planting three new basil into the pot. Yeah!
20160523_142517.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connie
conniepr

Re: Over wintering herbs in a Zone 3 climate!

Postby Laura » Mon May 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Surprise plants ... I love those !!!! ..... :D
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby orchidguy » Tue May 24, 2016 3:03 pm

That is so good to know. Up here, I've always buried pots in ground to help get them through the winter months, but am going to try to "winter keep" a few of the herbs I keep in pots in the garage. The garage here is kept above freezing during winter months so hopefully it will work out.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby conniepr » Tue May 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I would give them a very small amount of water once every four weeks on average. Plus there was always moisture in the air from our cars coming and going and full of snow.

I think the third one might be another tarragon plant. Might have bought two of those last year. The new shoots look just like the tarragon ones did when they came out. But then why would one plant be about two weeks later than the other, unless it was a different type of herb.
Connie
conniepr

Postby OGrubber » Wed May 25, 2016 9:38 am

Well done, Connie! It must have been really exciting when you saw them breaking soil and you knew you'd done it!

... it could be a number of reasons, but, maybe it's just a shoot from the original plant, spreading out a bit.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Return to Just Plants