Common Lilac

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Common Lilac

Postby rupietoot » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:54 am

Hello,

I will be moving soon and would like to take some of my parents lilacs with me (runners). When is the best time to transplant? They are just blooming now. I am in Northeastern NB - zone 3 or 4 I think :)

Susan
rupietoot

Re: Common Lilac

Postby orchidguy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:05 pm

"runners" with their own root system can be transplanted throughout spring and summer and until about September (unless it is a warm autumn). For the plants to do well, they need to establish a bit of feeder root growth before the cold weather hits it. Don't feed, but you can add a bit of manure to the soil, and they should do very well, and put out amazing growth the following season.
I also have found here (zone 3b-4a) that the runners, if a foot or under, tend to transplant better than bigger ones with more woody growth.

I plant a slew of runners every year, and they take between 2 to 3 seasons before you will see flowers on them.

Good luck
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby HeidiPG » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:27 pm

What he said!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby rupietoot » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:53 am

Thanks Everyone!!!
rupietoot

Return to Just Plants