Canadian Gardening Writers

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Canadian Gardening Writers

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:37 am

I was disappointed when Canadian Gardening ceased publishing. I opted to get Canadian Living to replace the rest of my subscription. Now I'm always behind in my magazines, so I'm currently reading the May edition, which I believe was the first one they sent me. In it is an article by Karen York, who used to write for CG. It's one of the types of articles CG used to run with easy, intermediate and advanced levels of gardening projects. It will be interesting to see if they continue with these pieces. I know the men on this forum probably wouldn't be interested in this woman's magazine, so you might like Garden Making which is a good Canadian magazine I subscribe to.
soccermomof3

Re: Canadian Gardening Writers

Postby davefrombc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:31 am

I no longer subscribe to any magazines. I do browse the magazine racks though, and if there are articles in one that really interest me, I pick up the issue.... Canadian Living has often had interesting articles in it .. It is more a general interest magazine rather than one of the usual women's fashion and gossip magazines that don't interest me at all.
I found subscription prices climbing so much, and too often issues of the various magazines had too few articles of interest to me that I really couldn't justify subscribing any longer. The internet has had a lot to do with the demise of hard copy magazines too.. It is so much easier to go online to get information we used to have to dig through old issues of magazines to find.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby orchidguy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:17 pm

I'm with Dave on this one. I had subscribed to CG magazine for many years, and with the increased costs of subscription, I finally decided not to renew. I also check out gardening magazines on the rack, and if there are a few interesting articles, will pick it up. If there is only one or two, I just do a search on the topic online, which tends to be easier to do anyway.

Soccermom, you are right about not being interested in the other topics discussed within magazines that have just a gardening section to them. I am well past the point in my life where I care one way or the other about fashion, or what is the latest fad in menswear, much less women's wear, or how to put on a fancy dinner party.

There are some writers/columnists of gardening literature that have stated they do not have gardens of their own, and hadn't in the past. The people I get gardening advice from, has had dirt under their nails, and it seemed as though most of the writers for CG had "dirty" hands, which was great for me.

I will miss CG, and have for a while, so I just thank Dawg there is a plethora of gardening info on the web.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby soccermomof3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am

I'm a newer gardener, so I still get a lot out of each gardening magazine I buy. But I can see how I'd be like both of you in the future, and just google particular topics. I do find with many magazines, that after several years they seem to run out of ideas and start repeating themselves, and I cancel them at that point.

Orchid guy, it boggles my mind to hear people would write gardening articles, never having gardened. That would make me feel deceived!
soccermomof3

Postby Donna » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:33 pm

That's too bad they couldn't have kept the CG forum posts available for posterity, well, the ones before the spambots took over.
Donna

Postby Laura » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:01 am

Yes ... would be nice to go back at times and re-read the fun threads and the info that was there.I would love to read our "Fictionary" again ... it was so fun that book ... :D
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Return to Just Plants