Opinions on Rosemary cuttings needed

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Opinions on Rosemary cuttings needed

Postby OGrubber » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 am

So, for the last several years, I've successfully overwintered mature rosemary plants in my unheated greenhouse. Normally, I take cuttings in the spring when the plants wake up and send up new growth. This year however, one of the plants was extremely slow to wake up and didn't get moving until mid summer. Now, I have all kinds of new growth on it that is perfect for cuttings.

The question is; IF I take cuttings now, what do you think their chances are of rooting and surviving the winter in the unheated greenhouse?
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Re: Opinions on Rosemary cuttings needed

Postby davefrombc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:52 am

I can't say on the unheated greenhouse, but cuttings taken any time will usually root fairly easily. I start cuttings of my rosemary all year round, but they are small, usually from pieces accidentally broken off my larger plants in the solarium, which I allow to drop to around 7C during winter.
I'm sure if your cuttings don't suffer freezing at the root level they should take.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby northpine » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:28 pm

I curious Dave, what plants do you winter in the solarium? My DH allowed a small section of his new shop to become a garden shed for me. So I have a long narrow side with 3 windows. It is more of a storage area, but we are keeping the whole shed heated during the winter so I did keep a few plants in there last year. I was surprised that the ferns did well, along with a hardy begonia. This year I'm putting the rosemary in there. The temperatures drop close to freezing on the really cold days. I'm wondering which other plants would do well in such a cold condition. If it's going to be heated I may as well make it worthwhile.
northpine

Postby davefrombc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:40 pm

I have my citrus trees in there, coffee, bay leaf ( laurus nobilis), pineapples,oregano, a misshapen avocado, olive, some aloe veras, a couple of cimbidium orchids, jade plants and a couple of amarillis.
Almost any semi-tropical or cooler plants can be overwintered as long as it is frost free. The truly tropical , like the Cacao I tried won't take the single digit ( celcius) temperatures, but most succulents and plants that generally grow at higher altitudes in the tropics and semi tropics can take short time temps down to between 4 and 7 C.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby northpine » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks Dave. I did have a large Jade plant out there last year. It was too big to bring into the house. I was surprised it was okay. I have other succulents I can try. What about Phalenopsis orchid? I also tried a hibiscus. It didn't fare too well. It lost all its leaves but didn't die. It is just coming into bud now. There's a good chance of frost tonight, so I put it inside, but don't know if Ill bother trying to keep it.
northpine

Postby davefrombc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:55 pm

Hibiscus and hydrangeas will lose their leaves and go dormant if well chilled, but will over winter fine . I don't see why phals wouldn't also be ok .. After losing most of mine due to a stray cat and mine disagreeing and the spills of the plants , I only have 2 left , but they are in the house rather than the solarium. Plants that don't take the deeper feeezes , but take the cold by going dormant should all do fine in the unheated space. Pond plants can be overwintered that way.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby OGrubber » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:14 am

davefrombc wrote:I can't say on the unheated greenhouse, .....
I'm sure if your cuttings don't suffer freezing at the root level they should take.

Thanks Dave. I'm pretty sure there will be "some" freezing at the root level. I guess it will just depend on the length and severity. I'll probably try a few and see how it goes.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Return to Just Plants