Question for Orchidguy

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Question for Orchidguy

Postby Fernleaf » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:38 am

Since I find you very knowledgeable on every kind of plant I was wondering if you would have any idea where in this country of Canada I would be able to obtain epiphyllum (aka jungle cactus, orchid cactus) plants/cuttings. They are available in other countries, eg USA, United Kingdom, Germany, etc, however, a majority of the sellers don't want to ship to Canada. There are a handful that do state they ship worldwide, however, I have inquired of Agriculture Canada and it seems to be a very complicated process to import cuttings (rooted plants will not be shipped in any instance). The cuttings require phytosanitary certificates, import permit, etc. This is more trouble than I am willing to do. Have you ever even seen any of the epiphyllums in florist shops or anywhere in your travels? I had one plant which has expired and am now desperately seeking more of different colors.
Zone 2b
ON

"The World , left alone works by Itself"
Fernleaf

Re: Question for Orchidguy

Postby orchidguy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Fern,
Ordering epiphyllums in from other countries isn't as hard as it seems to be. Back in the day, a form had to be filled out for each plant, and it was extensive to say the least. Now, most established nurseries outside Canada provide a phytosanitary certificate for a nominal fee, but the unestablished charges anywhere from 75 dollars up to 1000 for them to supply the phytocertificate. Unfortunately the shipping costs are now astronomical, with no guarantee of safe arrival. I just wish we had a great online nursery in Canada that sold tropical, but even the old stand-byes are offering less and less.

Cuttings (non rooted) do not need a phytosanitary cert, but shipping costs can be dear.

There used to be at least 4 nurseries that supplied rooted epi plants in Canada, but I do know that three are no longer open.

The last place I ordered epi from in Canada was Four Seasons Nursery in Alberta, but that was back in 2009 or 10, so not really sure if even they are still open.

You can also try MountainView Tropicals, Flora Exotica, Tropic to Tropic which are all Canadian too.

A good portion of nurseries that did ship to Canada, now doesn't because of our postal system and just the paperwork involved is not feasible for them anymore, which is a shame.

Check out Four Seasons Nursery, and let us know if they are still in business, and if not, I will search my records to see if there is any other nurseries who sell epi's.

Good luck Fern
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Fernleaf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:15 am

Orchidguy, thanks for replying to my query. I tried telephoning the 4 Seasons Nursery in Alberta last year after I found them on the I-Net, however, number no longer in service. Will look into the other three you mention, i.e. Flora Exotica, Tropic to Tropic and Mountain View Tropics. I agree the shipping and processing costs are quite high, however, if one could manage to purchase a greater number of cuttings at one time there should be some savings as compared to just ordering one or a couple at a time. I am willing to pay a certain amount for them as I desperately want them but not $1000.00 (that's going a bit too high). I was fortunate enough to have a person in the USA who grows epiphyllums in her greenhouse send me some seeds from her plants - only thing is I'll have to wait years for these to flower (I'll probably be in the old age home before then) and those flowers are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.
Zone 2b
ON

Fernleaf

Postby orchidguy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Fern,

This nursery used to ship to Canada, and their stock is vast. http://www.mattslandscape.com

This is the Canadian plant import regulations and forms. It is all done online. There doesn't seem to be many snags when ordering in tropical/exotics unless they are on the CITES list, which usually only has species plants and not hybrids. Their shipping prices used to be quite reasonable, but not sure if it still is.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/impo ... 9168593866
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/plan ... 4569734910
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Fernleaf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:26 am

orchidguy wrote:There doesn't seem to be many snags when ordering in tropical/exotics unless they are on the CITES list,

I have checked the CITES list and there are some epiphyllums listed here. One thing I have found out so far is if there is a place in the States that I can order from is that I would not require a phytosanitary certificate.

Once again, thanx for the links.
Zone 2b
ON

Fernleaf

Postby sam » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:33 pm

sam

Postby Fernleaf » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:31 am

Thank you for the links Sam.

Somehow by stumbling my way through the links I came onto Flora Exotica and contacted them. They do have epiphyllums available (only in white scented night-blooing) but beggars can't be choosers. Maybe I could convince them somehow to get more/different colors in stock some day. At least I will have one epiphyllum anyway.

Success at last - many thanks.
Zone 2b
ON

Fernleaf

Return to Just Plants