overwintering Brugs

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

overwintering Brugs

Postby Smitty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:56 am

I have brought all but 1 of my Brugs into the back porch area. WAs going to ask Lulu yet again for overwintering directions. But thought ' silly girl, check CG first!'

So I did just that..thought I would C/P the link for anyone else interested

http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/ ... ilit=brugs

I was crazy last year, thought I could keep them growing in the basement..perhaps that is why 2 didn't bloom at all this year. Will follow directions to the T this year.
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Re: overwintering Brugs

Postby Lizzy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Last year, I put them into "soiless" medium...and forgot my edict to water on every Winter holiday. Consequently, I lost a couple completely. The "soiless" medium seemed to be 100% like-stryofoam pellets.

By the way, I do bring mine indoors before they've finished blooming so I can enjoy the flowers in the kitchen or in the guest room where I can keep the door closed (cat, dog)...there are times when the scent just about knocks me out...it is simply glorious. I can also bag a seed pod nicely.

Yes I have to put up with bugs, and watch out for Hamish who has to inspect everything.

Mine go into the Cold Room for the winter when no longer blooming, unheated, uninsulated...but this IS coastal BC.

(I must check into winter treatment for Daturas too...I expect it is the same?)
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby Lulu » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Jeff's tutorial is awesome.

I follow pretty much the same routine, but do most of my pruning outside, and put the plant with rootball and all the cuts into a labeled green garbage bag, to be sorted out, at my leisure. Once they're all in the basement. I prune the stalk and the roots, and add pro mix and perlite, to the pot. This serves to fill any air gaps, but also keeps bugs from taking up residence.

I have a penchant for standards, but some, like Pickering Salmon, want to grow willy nilly, so, within reason, I let it, but it makes it harder to store. I can store three standards in the space it takes to store P.S.

My favorites will go into a cold storage room which is only about 6 x 8, but they are stacked, 3 & 4 pots high. The others will stay in the main part of the basement, (which is too warm) and be allowed to grow, with their leaves. Pots in cold storage get one cup of water each, on the first Sunday of the month, pots in the basement get watered once or twice weekly, depending on how warm the basement is. All of my "cuts", are kept in water till I get around to planting them in soil less medium (pro mix & perlite). Once planted, they are kept under lights, and watered twice a week. Generally, about 70% of the cuts make it till March, at which point, I will loose another 20% of them. No "nutrition" in the pro mix/perlite is my guess.

The plants in the main part of the basement and in the cold storage know when spring is coming, because they all start sprouting leaves.

At this time, I turn into a raving lunatic, doing the "In & Out Dance"; ie: dragging them in and out, according to the weather, and swearing I will downsize in the coming year. I will post pictures, once I'm done for this year.

Hello, my name is Lulu and I have a problem.
Lulu

Postby Lizzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Oh my, Lulu...but what a nice problem to have!

And I have learned once again, that Daturas grow from seed so easily that sensibly, one tosses them each late autumn, and starts seeds in February.

So, I have only two Brugmansias to overwinter. That sounds sane, and something I can handle.

Smitty, my two Brugs...I left them in their growing pot/soil...last winter...removed leaves, cut stalks back. And they got new soil in the late late winter for growing. I feed a lot as they are too big for the pots.

When I remember, that is...
Lizzy

Postby Smitty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Alas I did mine in back porch..yes to mess and the bagged up cuttings and delivered them to my nursery friend..he was pleased!
Brought last one in today intact yes..could not bring myself to hack of the blooms.
yes Lizzy..save the seeds for your Dats..much easier to overwinter
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby Lizzy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I do my Brugs crouching on the lawn beside the flower bed...lying the container on its side, pounding it till soil ball loosens...then pick apart trimming roots...it is a bad idea to put into a plastic bag after that, better to put into a nice clean pot with the potting soil and white filler pellets. Yes, I take off all the leaves, and I cut the plant back, leaving the Y joints.

I should take cuttings but I've never done it, and I'm sure I will forget to look after them.

The Dats will be coming in to the house so I can enjoy the flowers and try to get a Triple Purple seed ball...and then KAPUTT. chopped up, garbage bagged for destruction.

Today, Fall Fair...a lady was selling Brugs. For a 4 foot tall four-pink blossoms, $55. I almost fainted. No more flower buds...someone is in for a surprise.

2 ft tall ones with one/two flower buds, $15.

She was not telling buyers about dangers of the plants, either.

(won't anyone think of the children?)
Lizzy

Postby Katya » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:05 am

Thank you Smitty for providing this invaluable link to Dans treatise on Brug wintering. NOW I know why my huge Brug and Dat have not flowered this year, i had them up in the dining room in the light all winter. Well as much light as they got, and they need a darker cooler period to flower in this climate. ??? OR possibly a sacrifice under the half moon, eye of newt, wing of bat, etc. And Lulu, too funny the vision of you swearing you will not grow as many when wrassling with them. We should really make sure this is not just a link to Wollerton (ptui!) but archived here as actual text somewhere? Dan? Gary? (Dont look at me, I dont know how to do that... :shock: ) k
Katya

Postby Lulu » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am

Kat, I'm sure it's Jeff's original post, and agree, it should be "stickied", or whatever the equivalent is.
Lulu

Postby Katya » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:52 pm

This is stuck fast, thanks to someone (not me). Now I was sure Greenthumbguy was Dan, but I checked and you refer to him as Jeff on the old site. So I sent him a PM via the old site with the link. Perhaps he will show up. Hes a great gardener. AND SO IS DAN. Even if I cant keep peeps straight here. k
Katya

Postby Lulu » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't think he checks the old site but I could be wrong. Hopefully he gets a notification and responds.
Lulu

Next

Return to Just Plants