overwintering Brugs

From growing to sowing, staking to pruning and any other method or tip that will aid the gardener in helping their garden flourish to its full potential, help by sharing with other gardeners and joining the discussion

Re: overwintering Brugs

Postby Katya » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:17 am

Oh well, thanks for the encouragement any way. I was told just ordinary fish fertilizer, so I actually have REAL fish fertilizer, taking the advice literally. Where is Lulu?

Its so danged hot I have to water everything twice a day. We have water restrictions in the land of castlegar, so I am en flagrante desprinklero. Someone might have to send me a cake with a file in it.
Katya

Postby Lulu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 am

Just got back from Nova Scotia.

Wow, talk about patience, Kat! I'd have composted it after three years of not blooming! The only exception would be a brand new plant from seed,,then, they'd get maybe 5 years! Did a major cull of the non performers last year. Sometimes it just happens,,not sure why?

Having said that, if you've kept it this long, may as well try a few more things to tease some blooms out of it. A little late for this year, but, if you're going to keep it, try giving it a major trim next spring, ensuring you leave the "Y" intact. Maybe change the soil; it has to be light and airy soil. Check your pot sometimes they will hesitate if the pot is too big or too small; too big,,they want to fill it up with roots first,,too small is self explanatory. Sometimes aunts or earwigs will set up housekeeping in the pot. A little root pruning sometimes scares them into blooming; the thought on plant and root pruning is that if you injure a plant, it'll do everything in it's power to hurry to bloom, since that is their main purpose-to reproduce.

The fish water should be a real treat for them, as is compost tea. One of my friends has a horse farm, and makes a fairly strong "pony poo" tea for his brugs. If you have any unsulphured molasses, you could add some to a tea concoction. If you are shopping, look for fertilizer with a high middle number; the Super Store/President's choice have one kind out that promotes blooms.

Can you take and post a picture of it? Not sure what I can tell from a pic, but, it's worth a try! Sorry I can't be more specific!
Lulu

Postby Katya » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks, I can post a pix sure but looks healthy with multiple stems. But if its just not going to flower, then its bye bye. I followed all the directions from last year on this one. Its got good light mix of sea soil and peat based Sunshine mix. I dont think I missed any steps. Not easy to find them here. It really has not flowered for over 15 years

But thanks for responding Lulu. '
'k
Katya

Previous

Return to Just Plants