What Should I Grow Next?

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

What Should I Grow Next?

Postby soccermomof3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 am

I'm looking for an idea of what berry to grow. I have blueberries, which I have to keep netted to keep the bunnies from the foliage and the birds from the fruit. I have raspberries which are great, because I only have to worry about the ants getting the fruit sometimes. Does anyone have any suggestions, blackberries, gooseberries? I think the area I would like to use, my hubbie wouldn't want netting to ruin the aesthetics. Any thoughts?
soccermomof3

Re: What Should I Grow Next?

Postby davefrombc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 am

How about Haskaps (honey berries) ? U. of Saskatchewan has been doing quite the development program on them.
If blackberries will take your winters, go for the domestic spineless ones . The Himalayan blackberry which grows wild here is a very nasty invasive vine. Great tasting berries but hell to get rid of. Believe me, you don't want to deal with them.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby orchidguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 am

I have to agree with Dave on Haskaps. Easy to grow, and are wonderful producers.

Gooseberries, currants (black, red, yellow), josta berries, or even elderberries are great garden additions also. Are you looking for smaller shrubs, smaller trees or larger trees that produce edible berries ?
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby soccermomof3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I'm looking to put in smaller shrubs or canes along a fence. I have a mulberry tree too, so I enjoy all the different types.
soccermomof3

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping