Giant Radish

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Giant Radish

Postby soccermomof3 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 am

Guess I should have picked this sooner! Surprisingly, I've eaten some other big radishes and they have not been woody. Made radish croquettes the other night--very nummy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soccermomof3

Re: Giant Radish

Postby Fernleaf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Reminds me of one of those giant squids with the tentacles on the back end but in this case the tentacles are roots.
Zone 2b
ON

"The World , left alone works by Itself"
Fernleaf

Postby orchidguy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am

Soccermom, do you have the recipe for your radish croquettes ? Did this one turn out to be woody ?
I love radishes (especially the storage and Asian varieties) so am always on the lookout for radish recipes
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 pm

I Love radish sandwiches...but that one calls for a baguette! I can't even grow a tiny little cat-bell sized one...SPLENDID YOU!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 pm

orchidguy, here is the link for the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pan-fried-daikon-cake

I grew minowase hybrid, not daikon, but they worked well in this recipe. I have still not cut into my giant radish yet, so not sure if it will be edible.

Lizzy, maybe my crop was so big due to the manure we used from my daughter's horse: big draft horse means big poop, means big radishes?!
soccermomof3

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm

oh darn,all we have around here are tiny donkeys...and goats and llamas and alpacas.

I haven't seen a lovely big draught horse in 12 long years. Beautiful creatures...just beautiful.

What kind does your daughter have? Percheron, Belgian...???

Does she work it, and for what?
Lizzy

Postby soccermomof3 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 am

It is percheron cross. She's not sure of the full lineage. She used to drive him for horse-drawn carriage rides, but he has gone blind in one eye and can no longer work. So he's having a wonderful retirement getting very pampered by the human who adores him. She rides him now, both trail and in a ring.
soccermomof3

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:02 am

THAT is lovely. I am so glad he is loved and cared for by someone who sounds wonderful to me.

If you happened to have a picture to post of him, that would be appreciated too here, too! (well, on the Patio or Gallery...or the Pet's Section...he deserves better than the veggie section!

Thank you for sharing with me...
Lizzy

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping