Upended the entire carrot crop today

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Upended the entire carrot crop today

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Grew my heritage/organic carrots in two 10-12 inch black plastic pots this year. Greens lovely and bushy. Watered equally, but one pot had that lightweight soil for hanging baskets, the other had a sea soil amendment to some soil dug out of my year-before ceramic pots. The "ceramic" soil held water very well, the lightweight did as it was supposed to do, dried out so that top was wet, the rest was dry as a bone.

Today, picked entire crop, actually, upended both pots on table and picked out carrots as was tired of breaking off greenery.

(Can't do that with your garden beds,now can you!)

here is the result. Husband suggested I fill in with some large orange store-bought carrots, but I want to see what flavour will be like with these.

Carrot cake baking is my desire, a goal I shall reach later this afternoon.

btw, the organic beet crop...leaves are 2 1/2 - 3 inches high. all sea soil. However, the Cosmos planted in same wooden box are 2 1/2 FEET high and have just begun to flower at long bluidy last!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Re: Upended the entire carrot crop today

Postby madamezil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:50 am

Hey, not bad for a container! Such a nice rainbow of colours; carrot cake sounds great.

Here on the coast, the weather has cooled down a lot :D I don't grow carrots because our neighbour across the lane grows a huge bed of them and invites us to help ourselves,which we do regularly.
madamezil

Re: Upended the entire carrot crop today

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 am

Hi Madamezil,

Temp this morning at 6:30 was 9 degrees...to improve on weekend but not by much...days will be warmer than now...but I'm afraid it's a'comin'.

I thrive in these temperatures. Achieve!

The carrots were delicious...I'd love to try them roasted...larger ones, of course. The carrot cake was very tasty...crushed pineapple, walnuts...usual list of suspects for spices!

Neighbours here bring veggies, fruits...we give fruit...including apples to nearby llamas, alpaca, and goats' farm! Oh Thrills for Me what loves these beasties!

I've a neighbour who grows biggest and bestest tasting, looking, Beefsteak toms every year but this one, so he has none to give me, alas. My crop of Romas (one big big pot) prduced what I think is Bottom End rot? on almost all of the FEW tomatoes. Black Cherry itty bitties produced beautifully, like mad. Now have cranberry size doing well in terrible conditions but they chose 'em.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping