9th September

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

9th September

Postby BBQ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 pm

A lazy hazy summer day here today.
Sharing today's tommytoes!
~BBQ
IMG_5507.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Re: 9th September

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:42 pm

That is so pretty, BBQ!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 pm

a good yield, BBQ!

I have found that the little varieties serve me best...and less waste.

It was a very good year...and it continues!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby Donna » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:41 pm

What a wonderful sight, Brenda! I have to say, I'm a bit envious…had to pick all my tomatoes the other day because frost was expected sometime this week (tonight according to the forecast). Almost all are still green…we've only had some Big Beef and some cherry tomatoes ripen on the vine this year. Other people I've spoken to have said the same thing, lots of big tomatoes but not ripening. It was a fantastic summer for the garden too. Last year, our first frost was after October 1st!
Donna

Postby BBQ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:29 am

Hi Donna:
We've had a great growing season too, particularly the tomatoes! Thank you for sending the seeds from Mortgage Lifter. This is a great tomato; large, firm, great texture, and good to eat! Also, one tomato is enough for a salad for two! Not as large as Brandywine, but still a very large heavy tomato.
I've already frozen 50 San Marzano and there's probably still another 50 on the vines .. three plants! I've also made a couple of batches of tomato sauce using a number of different tomatoes. We like putting in a few 'blacks' as we like the intense depth of flavour and colour they add.
We're getting a cold front coming in, (from your way I suppose :roll:), but no frost is forecast .. yet, so hopefully the rest of the developing tomatoes will carry on for another week or so!
~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby orchidguy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:16 pm

What a beautiful sight Brenda. Just as pretty as any bouquet of flowers.
Like Donna, I am almost envious of your harvest this year. The biggest disappointment was the bud drop on the Kumato this year, as I had to go through many obstacles to actually get the seed for them. I guess I will have to do it all again...lol
The weather here was just not conducive for tomatoe growth this year (other than a few "Roma" type and a small tumbler) and now I am going to have to hit farmers markets to make up the loss.
Great photos, and thanks for sharing them.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping