Plum crazy

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Plum crazy

Postby orchidguy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:07 pm

This was a bountiful year for plums. Gathered the last of them last week, and got more produce then I had anticipated.
So, froze most, made a plum/cardamom upside down cake, and yesterday had ribs in a sweet and sour plum sauce.
plum1.jpg
plum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Re: Plum crazy

Postby Laura » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:51 pm

It is always nice to see fruit on the tree or vine .... just something about it.I go out each day just to look at the grapes ... your plums are so rich looking.

New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby HeidiPG » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:39 am

Yummy Plummies!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby BBQ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:06 am

I too am a huge fan of plums. I remember when I was little, in England, when the produce/fruit van came into the neighbourhood, that I would spend a lot of my hard-earned allowance on ... plums! Red, Black, Damson, Yellow, Greengages, and if there happened to be some big fat juicy hairy gooseberries some of those would find their way into my tummy too! Mind you, my tummy suffered greatly, and I would come out in hives, but it was worth it!
~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Lulu » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Your plums look awesome, Dan! Bought my first plum tree this summer; hope it survives!
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I find them all to be extremely hardy Lulu, so it should have no problems surviving our bitterly cold winters.

I too grew up eating a lot of plums, and mom and dad had 6 that were all heavy producers of fruit. The only downfall was that after harvest time, it just seemed everything had plums in it for months. When I made room for the plum trees here, I ordered the same plum trees that my parents had, from the same nursery. I have their original bill of sale, and contacted Boughens to see if they were still available....and sho nuff were

So far have made, plum upside down cake, drozdzowka (plum yeast cake), and used them for both a sweet and sour coating for ribs and an all purpose plum sauce for Asian food.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping