GRRRR!!!! The Rabbits Ate My Blueberries Again!

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

GRRRR!!!! The Rabbits Ate My Blueberries Again!

Postby soccermomof3 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:24 am

Now I have to decide whether to keep on this losing battle. I was just about to put the netting around my blueberries which were covered in blossoms. Too late, the rabbits stripped the plants back to the stems. What do the rabbits not eat? I have raspberries already--do they eat strawberries? I saw some fruit bush at the Superstore gardening centre; it had blue berries, but they weren't blueberries. Is anyone familiar with that fruit...is it good, and do the rabbits eat it? What other plants do you have that you like...gooseberries etc?
soccermomof3

Re: GRRRR!!!! The Rabbits Ate My Blueberries Again!

Postby davefrombc » Tue May 19, 2015 10:23 am

That bush in the SuperStore may have been the "Honeyberry", also known as "Haskap". The bush is hardy in all zones and produces oblong, blue berries. They are an edible berried variety of the honeysuckle family . Here is the U. of Saskatchewan website pages on their Haskap development program.

http://www.fruit.usask.ca/haskap.html
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby soccermomof3 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks Dave. Yes you're right, they were haskap. Have you ever tasted them?
soccermomof3

Postby orchidguy » Wed May 20, 2015 9:56 am

I grow them here, and they taste to me like a cross between a bit of a sour blueberry and an elderberry. I've had these honeyberry for about a decade now I believe, and still do not get a large enough crop from them to make jam or pies from. I like the taste of them, but many who come here don't.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby davefrombc » Wed May 20, 2015 10:53 am

I have the Borealis and Honeybee varieties in pots. This is just their second year of growth .. I got a handful of berries off them last year , but only a few this year because they bloomed early and there were almost no pollinators to be had because right at the time they were in flower we had a bit of a cold, wet dip from our unusually warm winter and early spring .. I like the taste of them, but really can't describe it. It is a bit similar to a slightly tart blueberry.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping