Tommytoes ...

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Tommytoes ...

Postby BBQ » Wed May 27, 2015 10:43 am

.... at long last I was able to plant the tommytoe seedlings. They've been getting very leggy in my tiny greenhouse as I didn't dare put them in the ground with the iffy overnight temperatures we've been getting recently. But I'm hoping we've seen the last of the frost, or near frost, for a few months! I've cut down on the varieties this year. Normally I go overboard and grow 18 or 19 different heritage varieties, but that really is too many, so I whittled it down to about 9! I'm growing some hot peppers too: Ghost, Cayenne, Habanero and Jalapeño, and they've gone into large pots.

I planted a few potatoes a couple of weeks ago and for the most part they're all up. I don't eat many potatoes but do enjoy digging up a few, a good rinse under running water, cook and eat for supper. These were the small potatoes leftover from a bag from the grocery store. There were about 10 left in the bag and they were sprouting! I planted them. It will be interesting to see what is produced, if anything.

I had some onions left over from last year too. They're probably not viable, (even though they were sprouting), after spending the winter in an unheated garage. But, what the heck .. nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I had a bit of room as I am not growing as many toms.

IMG_5904.jpg

~BBQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Re: Tommytoes ...

Postby HeidiPG » Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 pm

I have 6 asssorted tomatoes in planters and two in hangers (tumblers) along with 4 cukes and two eggplants, all in the greenhouse. I have to sort out some potatoes that obviously got left behind in a bed last year - volunteers where the beans are going this year. I will try to transplant them into the current potato bed, but we will see.

I have cauliflowers, leeks, beets and carrots in, harvesting asparagus every 2 days and the strawberries are blooming.

That reminds me! I have to plant the bean seeds today.....
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby soccermomof3 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:37 am

I love your raised beds! How high are they? What are the walls made from?
soccermomof3

Postby BBQ » Thu May 28, 2015 8:50 am

The raised beds are about 20" high! I needed them this high after two back surgeries. They were built by my husband and children 9 yrs ago!
The corner brackets are from Lee Valley and the pavers were from HD I believe. My pavers are 18" plus the 2" lip. The beauty of the brackets is that you can choose any size paver, length and width. Mine are 8' x4' each.
I double lined them with landscape fabric.
BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping