Bell Peppers

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Bell Peppers

Postby Andrea » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:47 am

I can't remember having peppers this size in early June.So far, the container gardening is good!

IMG_1236 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrea

Re: Bell Peppers

Postby OGrubber » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:14 am

Looking great, indeed!

Guess there are some definite advantages to container gardening.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:08 pm

No picture...my sweet peppers, red, yellow, right now, almost two months later than yours.

Both are that size, dark green, with very dark purple, almost black "stripes"...

any ideas why?

I also excel at growing curly-necked Eng. cucumbers...right now I have a proper neck-pillow in the fridge. the plant seems to produce one cuke at a time.

Dill, doing well, skinny plant, gone to seed (yellow)...Cilantro...hardly any leaves..skinny plant.

Roma tomatoes doing very well and what they are supposed to do.

Does anybody want filet green beans...please?
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby OGrubber » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:31 am

[if this posts, it'll be a miracle!]

the stripes on the peppers are a normal colour transition to the "ripe" colour - nothing to worry about.

your cilantro is beginning to bolt.
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby HeidiPG » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 pm

I have plenty of filet beans myself, Liz! and raspberries are dropping off the bush before I can pick them. I am very disappointed in my beets and carrots this year - absolutely dreadful growth so far, but picking cukes every couple of days (sweet slice and bush pickle) and tomatoes are now turning red in greenhouse. We will be looking forward to potatoes soon too.

We've turned cold and rainy since the high heat a few weeks ago. But the long rains are definitely good for the soil, and especially the trees.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Lizzy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Dang, hit the wrong key and everything diskappeared.

First, Thank you, Inge...okay, I shall scrap the Cilantro. And perhaps I'll have red or yellow peppers for Christmas!

Jim has given up, entirely.

Heidi...raining and downright chilly here this morning. I am NOT complaining. It is a proper rain, not our misty stuff..."they" still say "less than a mm" and "5-10 mm"...and no puddles at all. Imagine a generation of this year's 2 yr olds never getting to experience splashing in puddles. Also, going out to refill bird water dishes, and being followed by Wasps who are into the water as soon as a little bit appears in the bowl - 5-6 wasps at a time...

In two big railing boxes, one in morning sun, one in afternoon/evening...what is doing best is cranberry-sized tomatoes. Morning one is covered in tiny dark green tommies...afternoon one grows taller and taller (3 ft now) and tiny flowers galore. All the flowers and herbs I planted in both boxes, have failed to come up...perhaps a couple of poppies will make it.

My only pot (smallish) of Basil does best of all, in morning sun, under a small table of houseplants.

On front porch, always in shade...cactuses and succulents (houseplants all) are doing splendidly...watered once a week, and growing by leaps and bounds...conditions, soil, temp. all must be ideal apparently. House is going to be overrun when it is time to bring all indoors again.

Same for my year-round- outdoor sedums/succulents arrangements, with pots of different grasses...morning sun, watered by me as roof overhang prevents rain from reaching. In ground grasses definitely suffered from lack of water.

This has been the longest season of Lilies I've ever had. And shortest year of Clematises...beautiful flowers, here today and gone tomorrow...except for Prince Charles and his lovely light blue.

Oh...we shall get 12 peaches from the tree!
Lizzy

Postby HeidiPG » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Liz, I couldn't find any bell pepper starters when I had time to shop for them, so didn't get any at all :cry: and the two japanese eggplants were completely covered in aphids and looking very sickly after our two weeks away, so I just chopped them off and decided to forget those.

I have one large planter with a mix of red petunias and trailing verbena - this one sits in the middle of one of my front perennial beds. We came home to it having been heavily pruned by tiny slugs - it is recovering, but looks so sad.

The bush pickle fruit are perfect lunch size cukes - I take one 4-5 incher to work per day!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Lizzy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:39 pm

In town, we have an Italian fellow who grows tremendous batches of veggie starts...we stopped there in early spring and got a really nice selection.

I have not seen a slug for so long, I almost miss them...no sign of any wildlife at all here...except the raccoons at night.

I bought my beloved trailing petunias to edge one flower bed...they have filled in, barely. (Wish they'd bring back "Cascade." ) In early spring I bought pink petunias also for the window boxes...and I've got a dang poor showing. Strangely, Heliotrope appears to really love the extreme heat. I've always planted it in semi-shade, no prolonged sunshine...but this year I have some in punishing sunshine and it is thriving.

I will never buy Million Bells again...horrible straggling things, a couple of tiny petunia-like flowers per basket/pot.

Odd year...nothing is obeying the "Rules" any more.

I couldn't find the mini English cucumber seeds...hope I do for next year, and also the Japanese eggplants which I love...good Lord, I must be nuts...talking about next year in the midst of this mess!

I guess I should be looking for winter veggies' seeds.
Lizzy

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping