Harvesting!

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Harvesting!

Postby BBQ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:35 am

Despite a very restless and almost sleepless night, I had a fair amount of energy this morning! The Honey Locust is a pretty tree but some interior branches seem to die off, which makes it fairly unsightly when close. I decided to get my very long pruner out this morning and trimmed as many of the dead interior branches as I could reach. Much better!

Then my attention was drawn to the Basil. It has grown very well for me this year and is very prolific. Despite already giving away a few armfuls, and making a large batch of Pesto last month, I had to do something with it. I can't bear to waste such a wonderful herb. So I made more Pesto! I had all the necessary other ingredients. So simple and the finished product is outstanding:

Fresh Basil
Fresh Garlic
Lightly toasted Pine Nuts
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly Grated Parmesan
A little Kosher salt

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

~BBQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Re: Harvesting!

Postby BBQ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:44 am

I grew a few onions this year. We like pickled onions in our household, especially homemade. It's almost impossible to buy onions that are the right size - not too large, not too small. A few days ago I harvested one of the onions - perfect size. I picked them all and let them dry for a few days before skinning and brining them overnight. Yesterday I pickled them. These are in no way sweet. White and Malt Vinegar; Pickling Spices; a couple of dried Cayenne Peppers, (home grown), for character! lol They should be good to sample in a week or so.

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

~BBQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Laura » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:49 pm

It is so good to have things from your own patch to eat.It does put a smile on your face ... I harvested from my patch today too ... three whole green beans ... :lol:
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Donna » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:12 pm

That looks wonderful, Brenda! I'm growing regular and lettuce-leaf basil this year. We've been eating green beans every day for over a week; the potatoes and cukes are also ready. I love summertime.
Donna

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping