My container tomato plant

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

My container tomato plant

Postby Andrea » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:46 am

Meant to post this a few weeks ago.I have one plant growing in a tub,doing really well,all tomatoes are perfect,no blemishes.Ripening now,harvested a few,taste great.
The first pic is a cluster of 9,the whole plant 31

IMG_1298 (800x600).jpg

IMG_1297 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrea

Re: My container tomato plant

Postby Laura » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:55 pm

I have envy ... no tomato plants this year.Father-in-law said don't plant any because he has lots ... I am hoping for a bumper crop ... 8-) Yours look wonderful !!
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby BBQ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Wonderful Molly! I grew toms in containers, in the greenhouse, one year, but never again! They took over the greenhouse completely.

I have also grown tomatoes in containers when I ran out of room in the raised bed. They did very well - just as well as those in the raised beds. I did give them lots of extra water, so that may have helped.

I've been picking the odd cherry tomato, Isis Candy, from seeds originally given to me by Donna. They're a nice snacking tomato when I'm working in the garden.

Today I picked my first large tomato. I've grown several varieties of yellow over the years, but had never really found one that we liked; they were too bland for our taste. However, a few years ago I did come across another one, Gold Dust, and I've been growing this one every year. It's a beautiful yellow; full of flavour, firm, and lovely in salads.

Here it is, (large egg for size comparison!):
IMG_6081.jpg

~BBQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Donna » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 am

Whoa, Molly! You are doing something right…your tomatoes look so healthy!

Brenda,

I'm growing your Gold Dust tomatoes this year and I agree, they are a nice flavourful tomato. I have several different varieties this year…the Kumato has been really impressive so far. My neighbour is away at the cabin a lot this summer and she told me to help myself to the tomatoes in her yard. They are growing like gangbusters and the plants are so vigorous and prolific…too bad they don't have a lot of flavour. :?
Donna

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping