Has anyone started any veggies yet?

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Has anyone started any veggies yet?

Postby madamezil » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:59 pm

After three days of filling up our garden beds with organic veggie soil, we're ready to go! Planted the sugar snaps and the fingerling potatoes(DH won a bag of seed potatoes at a garden party we were at).

Basking under the grow lights are: cherry tomatoes- red and yellow, zucchinis, eggplant, tomatillos,Shady Lady tomatoes,white cucumbers,sage, mint, and thyme.
Garlic is in the ground and have transplanted the raspberries.
Will purchase several kinds of squash plants, Sweet Success cukes. Will also plant yellow and green pole beans as well as Scarlett runners-a favourite of the hummingbirds.

Getting excited :D !
madamezil

Re: Has anyone started any veggies yet?

Postby HeidiPG » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Not really...my garlic is coming up - planted last year in Sept. This works better for us as we are usually frozen well into May. 2 of my veggie beds are still partially frozen as they are shaded by a fence from the all day sun. I cleaned off the strawberry bed yesterday and took some runners that had moved over to the asparagus area and put them into a planter box for now. Asparagus are still dormant from what I can see. I am planning to put out some radish seeds tomorrow on spec. My chives are up about 3 inches, crocus and scilla are blooming and a few chionodoxa are about to open.

Our grass is just waking up and we have been raking it. We have no leaves on trees yet either, however, we are budding rapidly. We are about 4-6 weeks earlier than normal. Since we can get killing frost into early June we are being cautious for sure. This El Nino year has us way ahead of schedule and not sure if we are still at big risk. We are still scraping windshields in the mornings though.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Lizzy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Yes, I've started. Dill, little round cucumbers, grape-sized tomatoes, and a slightly larger tomato. Also, Calendula, Cosmos, Morning Glories.

All are doing very well...indoors, mini mini greenhouse.

I have purchased two new pure white lilies to be planted fast, and white and red strawberries, also. My last year's strawberries are having a growth spurt.

I'd like to do a lot more, but I would need to clone myself first!

I may not purchase any more veggies...husb will for sure. He has two trays started, plus cuttings from my last year's geraniums. Not sure if he has already planted his garage wall full of Scarlet Runner beans...yes, the hummers love them!

The garden (back) is gorgeous, a real treat for the eyes. Various colours of tulips in bloom, King Alf daffs just on their way out, far too many Muscari that I must regain control of...Bluebird clematises are blooming. Our camellia bush is almost finished flowering...the Kerria is in full force/a brilliant patch of sunshine. The neighbour's Periwinkle is coming thru the chain link fence very well, and has lovely blue blossoms...is also growing into the old flimsy greenhouse, along with a few ornamental plum tree juniors, and these must be cut out, and waist high shelves constructed I HOPE.

Grass got its first cutting today, was mid calf high and sopping wet. A leaky hose to the back porch got repaired today, and I also scrubbed two patio chairs and the patio glass table.

The bears are awake, and this means I had to stop feeding the birdies...Stellers Jays protested so loudly I did feed peanuts, but the screen is back in my window and no more hand-casting of seeds will take place.

Pressure washing is next on the list. Anyone want to buy my enormous crop of algae?
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby Chelsea » Mon May 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Today I planted some mesclun mix lettuce seeds in a large container. Many more pots of lettuce will be planted within the next few weeks since we have a large salad with dinner every night.

Seeds of parsley and thyme will be potted up next week.

I bought a cucumber plant, a spaghetti squash plant and a butternut squash plant at the nursery last Saturday too. They all will reside in the greenhouse until the end of May. Then it's time to buy tomato and red pepper plants to go directly in the garden.

It's so nice to get back to gardening again.
We all have our flaws; no one is perfect.
Chelsea

Postby HeidiPG » Mon May 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Well, with my bum shoulder I have been limited on my gardening activities significantly in 2016, but today I did manage to plant up the leek starts, 4 rows of carrots and 4 rows of beets. Planting ahead of schedule based on the extra early spring warmth, but holding off on the filet bush beans for a week or two yet.

On the flowers side of things, I have been forced to buy pre-made baskets as I just don't have the strength to make up my own this year. Need help lifting these ones too, but not as much work for sure. I am scaling back and just focusing on some hanging baskets and the big pots I usually do - absolutely no annuals in flower beds at all.

Greenhouse has 4 cukes, 2 yellow peppers and 3 tomatoes. More tomatoes will come, but I didn't find all the varieties I wanted at the one nursery I went to yesterday. The greenhouse is also hosting the pots and baskets.
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Postby Lizzy » Tue May 17, 2016 12:56 pm

On Sunday, I went searching for some new Bee Balm and a Coneflower called Mac N Cheese...no luck with either, but did find a coneflower so get to try that again. Was searching also for interesting veg. varieties...no real luck at all.

I have planted 2 big pots of carrots (for my inner rabbit.) I had to buy some chives as my big one in the garden finally gave up the ghost last year. Planted lettuce and mesclun mixture seeds outside.

Bought one hanging basket and planted one myself. Bought one is crammed with flowering plants, mine is not crammed, is coming along nicely.
Lizzy

Postby madamezil » Wed May 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Well, everything is up and blooming now. Beans are all up but have had to replant the Scarlet Runners because of the pill bugs- they are shearing off all the new bean leaves as they emerge (and yes, I have personally seen them in action, they don't just go after dead and decaying matter). Have had to replant 3 of my zucchinis as there was actually some Chafer beetle grubs in a couple of our raised beds and they made short work of the roots. Not a good year for bugs! :x

However, it looks like we are on track for a bumper year of cukes, tomatillos, potatoes and tomatoes. Still too early to tell on the eggplant, squash, and onions. The sugar snaps are blooming for our outdoor snacking pleasure. Basil is just poking it's head through. Other herbs- dill, parsley, oregano, thyme and garlic chives are doing great.
Lettuce will be ready to pick in about another week. Peppers are still pretty small.

Garlic is amazing, the scapes are just starting to form. Last year was the best garlic I have ever grown. Because it was so hot and dry I was able to harden off the garlic heads really well. Lasted all the way into March of this year.

Still just shy of 20 degrees here, but NO rain at all to speak of. Have had to bring out the Rain Tower and soaker hoses. Apparently we are supposed to get rain tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

That's the West Coast report for now. :D
madamezil

Postby HeidiPG » Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Got my other tomato varieties I wanted for the greenhouse and they are all snugged into their planters. I have harvested some rhubarb as well, and the strawberry patch is now blooming like mad. Gardening is slower and more deliberate this year but I am still determined to have some fresh veggies and fruits despite the shoulder issues that continue to plague me.

Madamzil, I think our extra short and too warm BC winter (whole province) has conspired to keep the bugs alive over winter and they are enjoying the gardens a bit too much right now.
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 pm

I suffer from pillbugs year round. Not just this year, every dang year. They are supposed to LOVE dead stuff/decaying stuff, but mine like Madamezil's cannot tell the difference between decaying and trying to get a start in life. I lost all my sunflowers, a whole bunch of Borage too.

I am trying a lot of companion plantings this year.

I have bought ONE eggplant. Very well started, and I hope, I hope. I searched for varieties, I love the purple and white striped, and I love the whites, and the long slender purples. I got the "usual."

I planted far too many tomato plants for the area...grape...and slightly larger. Goodness knows. As soon as I planted in ground, the weather cooled off again. My little round cucumbers continue to hang in there...I don't like the way I planted them, edges of the boxes/waist high beds...I'm SURE they would like supports instead of dangling.

Planted carrots in tubs...we shall see. Planted lots of mesclun and other lettuce in one big box on Sunday, mesclun is "up." This box doesn't get slugs or pillbugs.

My tangled mess of Cosmos seem to have picked up! hooray!
Lizzy

Postby madamezil » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:26 am

Gonna revive this thread as we are now mid-summer. All the tomatillos died; I think I bought diseased plants as there were no roots to speak of. Pulled out and planted carrots.

Pulled out the miniature white cukes as they were so bitter we could not eat them. Planted baby white turnips; all pulled and eaten Yum!

Dug the French Fingerling potatoes. Folks, if you ever have a chance to grow these, do so. They are the best potatoes I have ever had. Planted white turnips.

Have donated about a hundred pounds of cukes to the Food Bank. They are winding down so will have switch to something else. Probably zucchini as those have finally taken off.

Beans have started with a bang. Growing both green and yellow pole beans as well as Scarlet Runners. Am walking the back lane with my bags of beans. :)

Have an avalanche of cherry tomatoes, both yellow and red. Big tomatoes will be ready soon, eggplants are flowering beautifully.

Garlic was amazing! Beautiful huge heads-am growing Porcelain garlic. Are now cleaned up and hanging in mesh bags in the basement.

The squash has taken over the front yard. Am growing Acorn, Buttercup and Spaghetti squash. Some of the Spaghetti squash are bigger than a football, so guess one of those will last a week in our house. All told, stand to harvest over 20 squash by Fall.

Thats about it for veggies, the bees and hummingbirds are having a great time with the Bee Balm, Butterfly Bush, Globe Thistle, Scarlet Runners and the huge bed of Borage that I planted. Wow, do they love that stuff!

Beautiful day today. Will take in the sprinkler in about a half an hour from now, have a shower and assume the position to watch the baseball game. GO JAYS!
madamezil

Next

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping