Paris Market carrots

This forum is set up for those who are interested in vegetable or fruit growing, and just landscaping in general

Paris Market carrots

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Shouldn't have used a foil plate, obviously!

I've pulled enough "Paris Market" carrots (the small round ones) for my dinner tonight...and accidentally pulled a couple of "Little Fingers" carrots one of which should have been picked sooner.

I used a small Grape tomato for sizing reference.

The round carrots need no scrubbing, just a light washing...Little Fingers needs brush-scrubbing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Re: Paris Market carrots

Postby madamezil » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Wow! Looking good. I planted a bed of Nantes carrots about 6 weeks ago and they should soon be ready for harvest in a couple of weeks. They seem to really like the wet weather and the cool nights.

Still harvesting cukes though I think they'll only hold on for another 2 weeks. Brought in a huge box of green, red and yellow peppers today. Will make stuffed peppers tomorrow and freeze them. The zucchini is like a plant possessed. I cut the leaves back about a month ago and they started blooming again. Lots of them yet to come. If you ever want to grow zucchini I heartily recommend "Astia" by Renees seeds. It is designed to grow in pots, but I used a raised bed. This one just doesn't know when to quit! Cabbage is looking lovely as well.
madamezil

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Thank you for advice...we had zilch luck with zukes this year!

I was expecting faster crops with the Paris Market...have looked forward to these since I saw a Garden Show from France.
Lizzy

Postby Laura » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Those little carrots are so cute ! .... are they sweet ?

We had carrots from the in-laws garden tonight .... so good !! .... they were full size and B likes them little so he whined a bit about them being too big.
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 pm

Yes...they ARE sweet...and lovely carroty flavor.

I suggest you find some seeds and grow in pots too! I plant in circles...and one in the middle!
Lizzy

Postby Laura » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:26 am

I may just give these a try ... pot growing is becoming my specialty ... ;)
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby OGrubber » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 am

They look great Liz!

How long did it take to get the paris market to the size in your photo?
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Do go for it, Laura!

Inge...I planted really late...mid July...I grow spring tulips in these big pots and they took a long time to finish off...get dumped, get pots cleaned, new soil put in. Package says 65-70 days... Also, "easy to grow, even in fairly heavy soils" such as clay. (I do not have clay soil.) HERE they can be started from April to mid-July, 3 week intervals (direct sow)...sow again (and I did not) August 1 -15th for winter carrots. I did not, because I cannot eat that many carrots, and will leave these in the pots till whenever I want them...Christmas Dinner! (I have FIVE large pots filled with these and the Little Fingers.)

My seeds are from West Coast Seeds, 19th century heirloom carrot...about 1 1/2 inch diameter. Most of mine are NOT 1 1/2" diameter...they are buttons! germination rate 74%

I'm also REALLY lousy at thinning...
Lizzy

Return to Fruits, Vegetables, and Landscaping