Orchid

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Orchid

Postby Kayakcraig » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 pm

image.jpg
I have this oncidium cross for 3 years. Always is a ray of sunshine when it blooms in the middle of winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kayakcraig

Re: Orchid

Postby Andrea » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Ray of sunshine for sure,thats lovely. :)
Andrea

Postby soccermomof3 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:53 am

Here's an orchid question for you. Someone gave me a gorgeous potted orchid, but after a couple of months, all the flowers fell off. If I nurture it, will it regrow flowers on the same long stems that are held up on clips? How frequently do they usually bloom?
soccermomof3

Postby orchidguy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Depending on what orchid you have and it's growth habit, a lot of orchid's rebloom on previous year's flower stalks. I never cut mine off until it is dead. Many times keiki (baby plants) also form on old flower stalks and is a great way of propagation. Some of the orchid pics I have posted on our original site actually shows them. The oncidium and odontoglossum always blooms on previous years stalks for me, but everyone has their own method of growing them
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby davefrombc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:01 pm

From the tiny clue (long stems held up by clips) I'd guess soccermom's orchid is a phalaenopsis (moth) orchid, and they often reflower from the same stems. Iff you're really lucky, it could sprout a keikei .
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby Katya » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:48 pm

That is beautiful! I hope you will check out our alphabet soup feature and post if you have time, Craig... Im loving your garden photographs.
Katya

Postby soccermomof3 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks Dave and orchidguy! It does look like there are tiny buds at the ends of the stems now, so I'm crossing my fingers.
soccermomof3

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing