Tropical Hibiscus

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Tropical Hibiscus

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 am

I have 2 of these and this year I was a bit worried about them as they seemed slow in leafing out while in the GH.I thought with our cold Spring that this must have been the problem.They have been outside for a while now and they still are not their best,small leaves and not too many at that.I checked them last week and they are loaded with flower buds,one was open this morning.

IMG_0858 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrea

Re: Tropical Hibiscus

Postby Fernleaf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 am

It's a weird year 2013 is. I am in zone 2b and quite a few of my trees, shrubs are not putting forth the leaves the way they should. For instance, my forsythia has a few branches at the bottom with full leaves and the higher up branches have sparse foliage, seems the leaves haven't fully opened up. My pear is a similar situation. The cottoneaster didn't have any leaves on it at all (am wondering if it is dead) and my flowering plum didn't produce flowers. It is possible that the frost in the very cod winter damaged these plants? Most disappointing. I, unfortunately, am not able to grow hibiscus outdoors, so I can't comment on condition of my hibiscus. Would love to grow them and rose of sharon as well but cannot.
My lilacs, white and lavender, did very well though.
Zone 2b
ON

"The World , left alone works by Itself"
Fernleaf

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 am

No frost got to them, these are Tropicals so have to be brought inside in Fall,before it gets cold.I keep them in the basement under lights for the cold months,they lose alot of leaves,but come back in the Spring,once taken out to the GH.This year however,when I started to use the GH ,we had a lot of cold days which resulted in lower temps in the GH,not freezing but still not warm.Even with the heater on at night,still just above freezing.Maybe that was enough to bother them?
Yes I have to admit this year has been funny so far,what I used to do may have to be done differently.
Andrea

Postby orchidguy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Molly, I find that with Hibiscus rosa- sinensis, the slightest bit of cold will set them back tremendously. Your plants look healthy, so I would think it is just the lower night temps that has affected the growth cycle of your hibiscus. In the greenhouse here, they are always kept in the tropical section, with only a few degree drop at night.

Fern,
I know exactly what you mean about being a weird growing year. The rhodo's, wisteria, magnolia, and most of the fruit trees were a wash this spring. The plants are healthy, but bloom was next to none. Although the japanese, siberian and aril iris are blooming alright, the bearded, crested, the dutch and other types, although healthy with great foliage, are producing either no buds or very few to say the least. The clematis, are just starting to bud, and most of the roses are just leafing out right now

This is a picture taken last night of a pear tree, that I had thought for dead, and was going to cut down, but here it is leafing out at the end of June....go figure
pear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Fernleaf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Dan, your pear tree looks similar to mine. There were only a few blossoms this year, not like last - the whole thing was blossoming. Was listening to radio CBC this morning on way in, even the strawberries are late down Sudbury way, they are just starting to ripen now. Mine are just past the flower stage, did see some very tiny fruit on a few plants. If they ever ripen I guess I will have to fight the chipmunks for them :lol: Did notice last night I do have some honeyberries that have ripened. Chippers will get those too once they discover them but that's O.K. as long as they leave my newly planted pink tiger lily bulbs alone. Last year they ate all six of my lily tree bulbs that were ordered from Spring Gardens and I was so looking forward to have these extremely lilies. Oh well, can always re-order.

BTW - does magnolia do really well in your zone? Was often considering ordering one but would they survive 2b?? Guess I could try one and see what happens (gotta find room to squeeze in another tree).
Zone 2b
ON

Fernleaf

Postby orchidguy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for the response Fern.

The magnolias do wonderfully here, although I dont get bloom every year on them, but they have all bloomed, and is sometimes worth the wait imo

The stellata's tend to be the hardiest here, and I would recommend that one of it's cultivars is what you should start with, if you are interested in trying one out. Your 2b zone, might be a little cold for them, but if planted in an eastern exposure away from winters south sun, north wind, and westerlies, it might just survive. If I listened to all the people that had told me what would not grow up here, my gardens would be nothing more than paeonia, potentilla shrubs and caraghana...lol

The lilliflora, kobus, denudata and loebneri hybrids and crosses seem also to not be affected by bud blast brought on by late frosts.

The grandiflora, soulangiana, acuminata are the most frost sensitive ones here, but again, may not have bloom some years, but makes me appreciate them even more when they do.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Andrea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks orchidguy,its nice to get an opinion on how they look.This is the worst year for these,they usually fill in better than this with foliage.Maybe next year I should put them in the plant room by the window instead of straight to the GH,if the temps are going to be like this year.(heaven forbid).
Tropical section in your GH? That sounds wonderful,would love to have that in mine,but that will never happen---sigh.
Andrea

Postby Fernleaf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks Dan. Your information on magnolias is very helpful to me. At least now I have a starting point and know what to look for in terms of hardiness. Am going to give it a try next spring and see what results I get.
Zone 2b
ON

Fernleaf

Postby Donna » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Fernleaf,

Does your forsythia bloom? I tried growing it one year and it didn't make it. Then I heard that even if it did survive, often the flower buds get frozen and there is no bloom. We are the same zone. Btw, I haven't seen it for sale in my area for a number of years.
Donna

Postby orchidguy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:44 pm

I grow about 6 cultivars of forsythia, including the Arnolds Dwarf, and they all seem to fare well with the colder winter temps here. The hardiest one is Northern Gold Forsythia, and friends of mine in Timmins grow this variety and I believe their zone is also a 2
orchidguy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing