African violet

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

African violet

Postby davefrombc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 am

My African violet put extra effort into blooming this year.
20140507_143135.jpg

20140507_143326.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Re: African violet

Postby Laura » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:29 am

I'll say it did ... beautiful !!!
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Chelsea » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:40 am

Lots of beautiful blooms there!

Did you do anything extra special to make it bloom like that?
We all have our flaws; no one is perfect.
Chelsea

Postby BBQ » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 am

That's a beauty Dave. I have it's twin! :)
In fact, mine really has twinned itself and there are now two plants in the same pot - both producing a fantastic posy of flowers.
I've had mine for at least 10 years, bought from the grocery store, and it's been blooming almost continuously for all those years. I put the odd shot of Miracle Gro into the base water container.
It's on my old pine kitchen table, where it gets lots of light, and I don't move it! I couldn't get the exact colour when I tried to take a pic this morning, as it's in really bright light. I do see that the odd leaf is losing colour so maybe it's time for a bit of fertilizer!
This is also nearing the end of it's blooming cycle as normally the blooms are twice as many. It never really doesn't bloom, but goes down to just the odd few blooms before it starts all over again.
I have other African Violets that don't perform nearly as well as this one.
Do you put yours outdoors for the summer?
IMG_5206.jpg

~BBQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby davefrombc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 am

Mine is on the window sill above my kitchen sink. Like yours, it has had at least a few flowers on it constantly since it was given to me a couple of years ago. The only pause it had was for about 2 weeks when the last small cluster finished... Then the buds showed up for this latest display. I repotted from the 3" pot it was originally in to the 6" it is in now shortly after getting it; and usually water it with rain water. I'll give it a bit of weak 20 30 20 in its water every couple of months or so.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Donna » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:25 am

Wow, those are both such healthy plants! I had one that struggled at my kitchen windowsill for years, finally turfed it and started a few more plants and those are thriving. I have to give it a shot of something to get it blooming.
Donna

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Mine go outside on an old wooden tv tray table on the front porch in May and stay out there till nights get cold again...late September this year.

Altho I have never seen signs of slugs on anything I've brought inside from this table, this year there's slug slime on all three of my African violets...and all were constant bloomers too. Just about every leaf has got some of the trails on it. No garden soil was ever near the pots...no nearby recently purchased plants with soil, either...only cactii...it's a very strange happening.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby davefrombc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm

The African violet is still full of bloom , but not as full as when I took that picture.
Lots of trouble with slugs here...they literally climb walls up onto the deck, into the carport and all sorts of places where there are no plant life to attract them.
They are a real problem in gardens here, tiny slugs , right up to the big banana slugs.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:00 pm

THIS year, I've only had the tiny little ones and except for the A. violets,they really didn't do a lot of damage.

We never did find out what chewed tiny holes in the cherry tree leaves...never saw a coccoon, or a caterpillar.

Dave, good luck with the rains tonight...our highway thru town here was flooded...I went out for some Retail Therapy and groceries...came home soaked thru after getting the groceries (different mall.) Most of the leaves are still on the trees...still green...this is probably a real blessing, with this monsoon.

My EARS were full of water! I've never had that happen before (unless swimming!)
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing