pineapple

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

pineapple

Postby davefrombc » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 pm

One of my pineapple plants is developing its flower head. I'm not certain , but I believe this is the one I started from the top of a little pineapple I grew 7 years ago... The plants are dwarfed by being grown in a small ( 6" ) pot and under far less than ideal conditions. Ones grown in the tropics only take about 2 years start to pineapple.
20141006_120616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Re: pineapple

Postby Chelsea » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:55 am

I saw lots of pineapples growing when in Costa Rica this past winter. BIG plants with razor-like leaves; fields of them.

Then while on my travels through Costa Rica, my friend and I stayed at a nice, small resort. It had only 6 or so cottages and was walled in with tropical plants; I loved the jungle atmosphere. In amongst some low growing bushes were 2 or 3 small pineapple plants and they had tiny pineapples growing out of them; something like yours, Dave.
We all have our flaws; no one is perfect.
Chelsea

Postby Lizzy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Dave, that's exciting! Do you suppose you'll be able to cut and eat the fruit?

Our passionfruit was a big disappointment.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby davefrombc » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:36 pm

I hope it grows a bit bigger than the one that I grew before... LOL... I believe this plant is the one I grew from the top of the little pineapple that developed on one I grew about 7 years ago....I'm not certain because I have 3 others growing right now , although this one is the only one starting to fruit. I'll take pix as it grows...Pineapples are actually a cluster fruit. Each of the little squares on a pineapple is a different flower, but all the fruits from them grow as one .
Here is the pineapple I think that one is from:
Pineapple 003.jpg

I let it fully ripen on the plant until the stem to the fruit began to dry. It only made a small bowl of pineapple to eat , but it was the sweetest and tastiest I've ever had.. Pineapples don't ripen much at all after being cut so the ones we get in the supermarket are much tarter than a fully ripened one.

Here is a picture of the first one when it was flowering.. You can see some dried blossoms and some bluish/purplish flowers, as well as how pronounced the individual flowers are before they tend to flatten out into the round fruit with the square segmented surface we are familiar with.
Pineapple flower.jpg

Hopefully pix of this one as it grows will be a lot better... There's been a lot of advancement in digital cameras since that picture was taken :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizzy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:51 pm

I find this extremely interesting! Do keep taking pics, and describing what's happening.

I've never attempted to grow a pineapple, buy it in cans, not the fruit (too much for two of us/lots of waste) Did you start from a store-bought pineapple, I wonder? Or did you have a pineapple plant/tropical? Perhaps you've posted the info before and I have missed it, if so, sorry. But I am keen to know.
Lizzy

Postby davefrombc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Fruit is continuing to develop. A couple of the flowers are starting to emerge ( the bluish purple spots at the lower part of the fruit)
DCP_0484.JPG

DCP_0487.JPG
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:02 pm

That IS truly interesting...now for a whole lotta sunshine!
Lizzy

Postby davefrombc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Pineapple on Nov. 15 ..Oregano, Aloe vera and curry leaf tree in background.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizzy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:51 pm

That's a beaut!

How good to have that greenery about.

My big pot of Rosemary has retreated to the greenhouse as I do not want it to freeze this winter.
Lizzy

Postby davefrombc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:35 pm

The pineapple continues to grow bigger.
Pineapple for CGT.jpg
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Next

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing