Orchidguy HELP

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Orchidguy HELP

Postby Lizzy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Today I repotted my orchid. It doesn't have a name.

The roots were wrapped round and round, thickly...like a woven basket. I removed as much of this as I could, cut out very dried stalks, removed all the spaghnum moss it seemed to be growing in, couldn't find any other kind of "medium"...and repotted it in same size pot, with Orchid Media "suitable for Odontoglossom and Paphiopedilum" it is a fine grade fir bark, medium grade fir back, charcoal and coarse perlite. I cut everything cleanly.

This is what the orchid looked like when it was doing well.

It has been steadily dying, I cut off four dead/dried up stalks. I saved some of the moss, picked out dead/live? roots, put the moss on top...and have set the new pot on top of rocks in water in a ceramic pot.

Have I got a hope?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Re: Orchidguy HELP

Postby orchidguy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 am

Hey Liz,
That looks like a dendrobium, and it also doesn't look like it is dying. The new growth "nubs" on the bottom of the plant show how well it is actually doing. Unfortunately some dendrobiums tend to go through anywhere from a complete dormancy to a semi-dormancy to no dormancy which leads me to believe that maybe it is only going through a semi.
The growing medium that you chose, is actually perfect for them, and quite frankly, you plant does not look like it is dying or even unhealthy. An unhealthy, dying dendrobium, usually exhibits wrinkled stems and leaves and eventually a total defoliation.
I think that your orchid will bounce back to its former glory
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Re: Orchidguy HELP

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Your reassurances are helping me...so glad about the "soil" info! I shall stop apologizing to the poor thing and will keep on hoping.

In looking thru older pictures, I did come across the name Dendrobium, which you had previously identified for me, also!

You are a great help, thank you!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing