Moving Orchids outside

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Moving Orchids outside

Postby mebbie » Sun May 31, 2015 7:39 am

How do you feel about this?
I did lose one a few years back to mites from that move.
I'm thinking that the sun lovers may be happier as we close the blinds to the sun these days.
mebbie

Re: Moving Orchids outside

Postby Lizzy » Sun May 31, 2015 5:55 pm

Mine went out on the back porch a couple of weeks ago (remember I'm right on the west coast, zone 8 b+) They get morning sun, afternoon shade, and late afternoon baking temperatures from the glaring sun.

I spray them daily with the Mist setting on the hose. I feed them once a week, orchid food. I've got one that was coming back into bloom just before I put it outside, and it is still bringing on new blooms. Nothing on the other 5 yet...but, early days!

Daytime temps are from 20 to 34 C (thermometer on back porch out of sun) and nighttime, about 12 - 15.

Indoors/wintertime, I keep them in a western-facing window, one of which really doesn't get any direct sun as there is a building and tree next door.

They are all on a small table, very close together (for warmth and company!) slightly below the top railing/porch, and well out of winds.

I have never had a mite problem indoors or out, and I've been putting them and other houseplant out for approx. 12 years now. Four years for the orchids, that was when I started on orchids.

The three Epephylleum (sp) plants ...hanging baskets, went out 2 and 1 week ago...blooms began on two of them almost immediately.

The "Christmas" cactus does not like to go outside at all, so I don't insist. (Christmas my eye, it comes into bloom constantly, year round.)

The cactus collection is on the front porch which has shade all day...thriving...and they spend the winter in an east-facing window with bright sun when it deigns to grace us. They all thrive.
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing