January Blooms

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

January Blooms

Postby HeidiPG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Happy to have my January flowers coming along! The amarylis was a Christmas gift (early Dec) so is just coming along now, and the orchid is this year's first to open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Re: January Blooms

Postby Laura » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 pm

So cool to have blooms now.Does the Orchid have perfume ?

New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Re: January Blooms

Postby HeidiPG » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 am

Laura, no smell - it's a small phal orchid. I find this is the time of year when they all come into bloom in my house, I have 3 of 4 with bloom stalks and I expect the 4th one to come along shortly. I have keep these all alive for multiple years - hard to do in a forced-air heated house in northern BC! The only problems I have with phal orchids is when they come into the house with bugs - scale is what I have problems with but I just turf them out if they develop it now.

However, I have light they like up on my south-facing windows beside the fireplace. I must say putting the windows in the south side of the house has been the best decision we ever made. My houseplants just love them.
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing