Lemons

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Lemons

Postby davefrombc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:50 pm

I picked one of my Ponderosa lemons today.
Now to talk a friend into making a pie or two with it and sharing .

Ponderosa Feb. 29 for the web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Re: Lemons

Postby HeidiPG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:31 pm

That is quite a large lemon!
Heidi in Prince George, BC
Zone 3 and loving it!
HeidiPG

Location: Prince George, BC Zone 3 (Central Interior high plateau)

Postby Laura » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 pm

Wow ... that is a big 'un .... what a treat to grow your own lemons .... :)
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby davefrombc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:00 pm

I weighed it .. 1 pound 2.5 ounces / 524 g..... Orchard grown Ponderosas can easily reach 4 pounds or more .. Record is one grown in Israel...5.265 Kg.....11 pounds 9 ounces.. LOL... My little trees have a long way to go.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby sam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:59 am

That's a huge lemon.
How long did you have to wait to pick it?
sam

Postby davefrombc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:00 pm

I can't remember when the fruit set, but it would have been last spring or summer. From the time I started the cuttings ( which were very tiny twigs) to reaping that lemon is 8 years .. The true lemons I started at the same time began fruiting 2 or 3 years ago. I had flowers develop on all of them earlier than that , but summer time high temperatures in the solarium made the fruit drop before it could develop. The last couple of years they set fruit before the heat came and were able to retain them .
I'm terrible at keeping track of time, so I can never give an accurate time on anything .. LOL...

Here is what the trees all started out like.
Lemon cuttings 009.jpg

The Ponderosa lemons are the slowest growing of the varieties I have.
All of the trees are still small, with the Ponderosas well behind the others in growth, and all 3 looking rather ragged compared to the Eureka or Lisbon varieties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby sam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the info Dave.
How high of a temperature causes the baby lemons to drop?
I assume that you took your cuttings from a mature tree. I always wondered how long it would take to get fruit from a cutting.
sam

Postby davefrombc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:49 pm

I can't say what the lowest high that would cause drop, but my solarium overheats badly in summer if outside temperatures start nearing 30 C....I've had the solarium hit 42 several times, highest was 44 one year.... All the plants in there suffer when it does that ..
Citrus actually prefer moderate temperatures in the low to mid 20's. some will survive light frosts, but the Ponderosa is more tender. I let my solarium drop to 7 C in winter since to try to heat it above that would result in horrendous hydro bills . They're horrible in winter as it is. In summer a big open window and a blower fan pulling in outside air opposite from it still can't keep the temperatures down near outside temps .. If they get near 30, I'm looking at close to 40 in the solarium.. A 10 degree rise is common in there winter and summer when the sun is out .
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing