patience is a virtue

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

patience is a virtue

Postby Smitty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 am

I have waited since April 2011 for this to happen!! I have blooms on my Orchid!

Goodaleara Eurostar 078
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Re: patience is a virtue

Postby OGrubber » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Tah-Daaahhh!!
And it's a beaut, Smitty!!
market gardening - just another day at the plant
OGrubber

Postby Smitty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 pm

thanks Inge!
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby Laura » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Oh goody ... that is a beauty ... worth waiting for ... :D
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby Smitty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

definitely Laura :D
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby orchidguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Beautiful Smits, just love the colour of that one. I grow the 068 and 069, but now am putting the 078 on my wish list for next year. (I did post a pic of the 068 in the other forum)

One thing I find with all the Oncidium Intergenerics , is that they take a bit of time to bloom when moved to a new location, but once they start blooming, they will continue to do so on a regular basis a few times a year. Yours is healthy looking and a real beaut Smits.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Finally found you, Smitty! You should have left trail of bread crumbs for me to follow.

What a beautiful orchid...and you've been waiting since 2011? Okay, I will not give up...YOU are an inspiration to me!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby Smitty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks all!!

Ys Dan..the man at the sale told me ..not to get impatient..Followed orders from him about light/etc and voila we have 8 buds..2 blooming today..only took 28 months .
hmm must go peek back in other rooms..see that orchid you speak of..just one right?? Lyn sent me a link to a lily nursery today..was lost in it for hours.

Sorry Lizzy..coulda swore I'd left a trail..perhaps you noticed your pigeons missing earlier?
Inspiration?? moi?? LMAO!!! Lizzy I am just a stubborn old broad..until they turn brown and shrivel I will not give up.
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby Andrea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 am

Nice,and a long wait,but oh so worth it.I admire these in the stores but have never bought one.Its nice that I can share yours through pics,thanks.

" Lizzy I am just a stubborn old broad..until they turn brown and shrivel I will not give up." :lol:
Andrea

Postby Lizzy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Smitty...my pigeons have been missing for over a month...and so have my other birds...I think they found a cooler place with far more shade. It's been lonely here with only three dogs, two cats, one husband.

Molly...what happens when you buy that first beautiful orchid from the store is this. It blooms all along its stem,beautiful flowers...it lasts almost forever, you treat it as tho it were made of gold, diamonds, u name it. You read the card that comes with it, you do everything it says.

Then the flowers finally stop coming...you continue to do everything it says on the card. Nothing happens...okay, it is "resting"...

You continue to read the card instructions and do everything. Nothing happens.

You buy another (at a sale) and later on, another...and the above is repeated. Only now you have three cards to read. Nothing happens.

You ask people who raise orchids and they tell you what to do. You do it. Nothing happens.

You are given a coffee table book on Growing Orchids. You try to do everything it tells you.

Nothing happens.

And then one warm spring day, you put your collection of orchids outside and you water them. (You had given up on fertilizing them, at this point.) Then you don't water them except when water spills on them from the plants above them. The days are blazingly hot and humid...and then one day it is cold enough you could use a sweater.

A few days after that, the last-bought orchid has 8 buds on it. The other two look very healthy, but do absolutely NOTHING, ever.

And it's worse than waiting for Kate's Georgie to arrive...except the world press isn't here round the clock!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Next

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing