Bringing in houseplants

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Bringing in houseplants

Postby mebbie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 am

How do you clean plants so no critters hitch a ride in? I do replace all the soil and wash off the roots, but what do you use to wash the leaves? I have a lovely fern and a pink leafy tropical.
mebbie

Re: Bringing in houseplants

Postby Ian66 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:54 pm

My neighbour takes her plants and puts them in a plastic bag with a wee bit of "Raid" insecticide and lets it stay in there for about an hour she says......then sprits the plant with water dries off the leaves ......
Also, remember that you have to "introduce" the plant into the house environment over a period of time so it gets use to the change in sunlight, humidity and temperature.....the reverse of "hardening off" plants.....
take it in for the night and put it back out....increasing the duration each time......otherwise, if you just bring it in...you will shock it and the leaves tend to fall off etc......
Ian66

Postby Katya » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 pm

I dont replace soil, although its possibly not a bad idea to do it really. I like Ians friends idea. I like to give the soil surface and the foliage a good strong drenching with insecticidal soap. I find that the first thing that crops up are aphids, that have been hanging in there all summer and just get all parthenogenesisy on my as soon as I get the little parkers back inside. Also I have had some dandy ants nests move in with the houseplants returning from the summer holiday. NOT welcome and hard to get rid of, same old same old boric acid and sugar bait around the bottom of the pots.

Here is one of my cacti, still out because its 30 degrees out during the day, and 15 at night still. Cant complain about that!

k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Katya

Postby Lizzy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:26 pm

That's a handsome cactus...I left all mine indoors this summer. Did put a somewhat biggish jade plant outside where it got far too much water...found the entire top of the plant upside down on porch floor...repotted in fresh soil ...prayed...and notice new growth so Big Whew as I am fond of the plant.

Husb. soaks the big potted stuffs in Malathion/then a long flushing with straight water...otherwise I get sowbugs something fierce.

All African Violets are in...and my Hoyas...none got insecticided beforehand, nor did they get soil changed (except one six inch long necked AF which is blooming again/2 weeks later) but I do use those yellow stickies...so far no sign of flying bugs, or spider webbing.

Orchids are still outside.

Ants weren't a problem this year...no idea why not. Slugs seemed to settle on a couple of plants and stayed there...then they found the winter Kale and decimated it...ate leaves to the stems...when nothing left but the stems, they began cutting the stems at the join to the "trunk."
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby mebbie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks to everyone who replied. There are some excellent ideas there which I will definitely try.
mebbie

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing