Banana tree

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Banana tree

Postby focus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Just purchased it! Has anyone have experience with a banana tree? Does it require daily watering?...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
focus

Re: Banana tree

Postby orchidguy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:14 am

I wouldn't say daily, but your banana does require copious amounts of water, and I find do best if not allowed to dry out completely. They are one plant that might require re-potting more than once a year, as their root system grows rapidly
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
Northeastern Ontario....zone 3b-4a
orchidguy
Site Admin

Postby Lizzy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Yours is a different kind than mine was. I only grew mine outdoors, and I grew for height praying I'd be able to sit underneath with a margarita.

This meant that I watered by leaving the hose turned on and running for the entire morning, daily...and fed copious amounts of 20-20-20 or Miracle Gro.

In winter the plants were stripped of leaves, packed with straw, and well wrapped up. The final year, I didn't strip, pack, wrap, and it did okay (this IS coastal BC) and it produced tiny fingerling fruit...and died. We got several well-growing babies that year, all of which we gave away and now I don't grow bananas any more.

In my opinion, yours needs a deeper pot now...
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby focus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Thank you Orchidguy and thank you Lizzy!Thanks to you both,Now I am reassured that it is possible! I don't expect to see bananas on that tree. I didn't pay a lot of money for it so if it only lives through the winter, I'll be very happy. ..and I will repot it this week!There are babies around the base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
focus

Postby Lizzy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:46 pm

okay, when you repot, you can separate those babies and plant them separately. They'll be your backup plan!

I do not know a thing about your specific banana...I THINK I've seen pictures of fruit on a like-plant...I was told NOT to expect fruit from mine and the appearance of fruit made a huge hit with the folks who gave it to me...

They need a LOT of sunshine to make fruit. Mine did NOT look like bananas, did turn yellow, I did taste...not much taste.

I'm wishing you WONDERS!
Lizzy - wet Coast, BC Zone 7b-8b
Lizzy

Postby davefrombc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Focus .. The banana most often sold as a houseplant is the dwarf Cavandish.. Cavandish bananas are the most common bananas in the grocery store . They are not frost hardy , although they will survive temperatures that drop down to 5 to 10 C at night . My father and uncle grew some in ground in a heated greenhouse and got a crop of bananas off them. After they flower and produce fruit , the plant dies. They are propagated by the suckers produced by the parent plant since the edible Cavandish bananas don't produce seeds. Ones grown in the house may or may not eventually grow a hand of bananas. They are not likely to get anywhere near as large as the ones grown in the ground.
The hardy banana ( Musa basjoo) seen in several places here on the lower mainland will survive our winter temperatures here. Some cut off the trunk of the banana and just mulch the base to protect it while others wrap the leafless trunk to insulate it for the winter. Bananas that occasionally develop on them are tiny, rather tasteless and rather seedy, They are considered inedible because of it .
Water them as a normal houseplant .. They don't like to dry out , but will die if the roots are waterlogged.
zone 7/8
davefrombc

Location: Near Mission , in the middle of the Fraser Valley Zone 7/8

Postby focus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks Dave for the info. Now that you mentioned " Cavendish"I can recall that being its name!I don't expect bananas but I just like the idea of sitting next to my banana tree in my living room where I get full sun. I am in a zone 5( Nova Scotia) and its going to be treated like an indoor plant.

Again thanks for all the info
Remi
focus

Postby CKKW » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Remi,

I'm from Toronto and wish I could leave them outside during the winter just like Lizzy of BC. I grow bananas for so many years now (10 years?) and still love them as they remind me of my home country where they grow in abundance over 10ft tall and normally die once they bear fruit. Here in Canada, stressful as they may be (moving them in for the winter and out for the summer), the delight of growing them is never a tiring one for me. I have lots now from suckers coming just from one mother plant originally. I grow them on the ground in summer and transfer to bigger pots to overwinter. Outside,they really love clayish soil and sunny but cooler spots of the garden with deep watering every 3 days. I cut all the leaves leaving just about 1/3 of the original length and try to maintain them as they grow fast eventhough inside. Here's one of them...i don't know what specie they belong to...all I know is that they don't bear fruit because maybe of the short span of time of summer...

DSC04117.JPG
CKKW

Postby focus » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:22 am

CKKW,

Thanks for posting pics of its possibilities! I do have lots of sun in my living room for winter in keeping...so I' m happy to hear...

Remi
focus

Postby Lulu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am

I have 5 bananna trees; two green leaves, two burgundy leaves and one green with burgundy splotches. Love the "tropical" look and feel of them. I generally overwinter them, in my basement. They take a beating, but pretty much always come back.

Here are 4 of them, before I took them in, yesterday. They're a little beat up, because of the wind, where I put them, and being covered with sheets, in anticipation of frost! Click to see full picture.
Lulu

Next

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing