Medinilla Blooming Again!

Are your orchids outstanding? Your African violets amazing? Let us see how your tropical plants are doing, and share your tips on their success

Medinilla Blooming Again!

Postby Lulu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:34 am

My medinilla bloomed from February to September, lived outside all summer, lost it's blooms, came in, in September, then grew several new leaves and two new blooms. It has to be one of the most satisfying plants I've ever grown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lulu

Re: Medinilla Blooming Again!

Postby Kelly » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Oh! Pretty....and unique!
Kelly

Postby Andrea » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Wow,nice plant,I love the look of those leaves.Good job.
Andrea

Postby Laura » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:25 pm

So pretty ... nice to have inside !
New Brunswick,zone 4
Laura

Postby CKKW » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi Lulu,
You're so lucky to have your medinilla blooming again! I have one given by a very dear friend as a birthday present 2 years ago and in full bloom for almost 2 months. Mine is Mendinilla Magnifica (as labelled). It became very special to me as I googled and found out it is a native plant from the rainforest in my home country...I even repotted it to a special pot strictly following the requirements. Since then, it hasn't bloomed and presently sits in my washroom to have the much needed moisture and close to the window for the filtered sun. I am assuming that it likes its present location as it really is doing well but still waiting to bloom again. Here's the pic during its full bloom 2 years ago...

20130421_100107.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CKKW - Toronto, Zone5b,
Islington & 401
CKKW

Postby Lulu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Looks good and healthy, so, not sure why it's not blooming.

Are you watering from the bottom, CKKW? When you re-potted, did you pot up to a larger size pot? Not really sure, but think they may have to be pot bound? What about fertilizer?

I have some information, but just can't find it right now; I'll look to see if I can find out what you can do to urge it to bloom. Mine is getting ready to bloom again, and I don't do anything with it.
Lulu

Postby CKKW » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:35 pm

It's mind-blowing to me as well...I did re-pot it on a larger one (almost 3x the old pot), no soil, just barks and coconut husks inside the pot. My research said it needs a lot of moisture so I put a bowl under with constant water on it (the bottom of the pot is not sitting directly to the bowl). I do fertilize it (20-20-20) but not on a regular basis, once every 2-3 months. Now I'm thinking of giving it a higher middle number (the phophorous). Further research says that in order to get it bloomed, it should have a cooler temp at night to mimic the rainforest condition. No luck until now...it's been over 2 years! Below is the plant at its current condition located in the washroom (I added a begonia at the bottom almost a year ago for lushness effect and see how it continuosly flowers...I say, begonias thrive too in a soiless condition).

DSC04261.JPG
CKKW - Toronto, Zone5b,
Islington & 401
CKKW

Postby Lulu » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 am

Well, found my information, and it sounds like you are doing everything right, CKKW, so, not sure why you are not getting new blooms??? That has to be so discouraging!

Hard to tell, but, the pictures appear that you are loosing some leaves? New leaves come from where the old blooms were, then the new flowers come from those new leaves.
Lulu

Postby CKKW » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Yes some leaves just fell off and that was when the plant was inside the bedroom a year ago. I'm assuming it loves the condition where it is now. I will just wait even if it takes forever hahaha! It will be a little exciting and hope my dear medinilla survives! and if ever it blooms, I would certainly post the pic... promise...
CKKW - Toronto, Zone5b,
Islington & 401
CKKW

Return to Tropicals, Indoor Growing