Colorado Potato Beetle

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Colorado Potato Beetle

Postby Durgan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SIGKH 22 June 2013 Colorado Potato Beetle. The Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata), also known the potato bug, is a pest of potato crops. This potato bug appears every year and can seriously damage a potato crop if not controlled. My method of control is to pick and squash, but I have only 60 plants, and must patrol the bed several times daily. Large growers must use chemicals.Seldom is any grower immune from the potato bug.One fecund adult can lay up to 800 eggs during the season.
Durgan

Re: Colorado Potato Beetle

Postby madamezil » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Durgan, are they here on the coast as well? I don't recall seeing anything like that before, but will keep a close eye on my potato plants.
madamezil

Re: Colorado Potato Beetle

Postby Durgan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:34 pm

madamezil wrote:Durgan, are they here on the coast as well? I don't recall seeing anything like that before, but will keep a close eye on my potato plants.

As far as I know the potato beetles is everywhere in NA. All potato growing areas are saturated with them, and all potatoes are heavily sprayed.The beetle also attack egg plants, amongst many other plants. The first year in my present location, there were non. This was about 8 years ago. Last year I had about 2000 plus. For about six weeks I picked several times a day, eggs, adults, and instars. Instar-A stage of an insect or other arthropod (external skeleton) between molts.
Durgan

Return to Insect/Weed Control