Lily problem

Plants being bothered with bugs? Are there more weeds in your garden than intended plants? This forum should help those who are facing these destructive elements in your garden

Re: Lily problem

Postby Kelly » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 pm

A combination of a bug killer on the adult beetles and Neem Oil on the larvae (which is what you see in the foto) should help....they have about a 2 week cycle so keep vigilant.

RLB is not as bad this year...I think either because we all have been rather diligent...or I found a really effective bugg killer on my shelf from a few years ago!! LOL
Kelly

Postby Smitty » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 am

tell her to get her butt to, or online to, T&T Seeds in Winterpeg...they have KING potato dust..2kg container for 20 bucks!(I bought 2)..t'is the only thing I found that works too. When she gets it..cover the lilies and the surrounding area with the stuff!!..hand picking and squishing both larvae and adults will also be necessary wit h that amount of infestation as well...best of luck to her..Been there myself but am happy to say..have almost eradicated them from me and my neighbours gardens..hence I bought 2 containers at a time.
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby northpine » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks Smitty. I'll pass that along. Kelly, I've had others touting the Neem oil also.
northpine

Postby Lulu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Smitty, I checked out T&T; not a real friendly website; tried to search for KPD, no luck!

They have one product called "Organic Insecticide Rotenone Dust"; is that what they are selling for KPD?

Tried to order it, but I can't even get to the checkout page,,maybe because it recognizes an Ontario email address?
Lulu

Postby Smitty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 am

most likely Lulu.
think I could sneak one in the mail to you?
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby mebbie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 am

I couldn't stand the look of the lilies when they were attacked. Like everyone else, I tried everything until finally I pulled them all out. I do have other Lilies that aren't bothered by the RLB.
mebbie

Postby Smitty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 am

mebbie the beetle only attacks Lillium and their family ie Frtillaria...daylilies are safe from this
Sgt.Smitty, BBS.
Zone 3 MB

Smitty

Postby BBQ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Smitty's right. The day lilies don't seem to be affected by the red lily beetle at all.

~BBQ
Every day may not be good but there is good in every day!
Zone 5a/b SE Ontario
BBQ

Postby Mike in Greely » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Yes i was on that discussion and yes it does work, but it is a pain to go out and cover the plants with the baby powder after every time it rains, and the plants do look ugly covered in white powder, this year i had so many other things to do in the garden and the litle buggers came back and decimated everything even though i probably killed over a 100 of them. Just not worth the time and effort unfortunately.
Mike in Greely

Previous

Return to Insect/Weed Control